Lafite: an ssd or sshd?

Alir

Silver Level Poster
I'm thinking of getting the Lafite laptop.

I will be installing at least 1 Linux Distro and (Windows 9 lawl) Windows 8.1

What storage options did you choose?
I was thinking of going for a 240 M.2 ssd and a 1TB HDD. But I think that'll be a tad bit overkill.

What storage options did you choose or would you choose?

I'm also thinking of going for a 124gb m.2 ssd and a 500gb hybrid (OS' on the ssd - programs on the hybrid)

Or should I go for a single 2.5" ssd.

I've been thinking of the hdd + ssd or ssd + sshd combination for the purpose of convenience. Having that much storage in such a portable laptop.

What do ya'll think?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I would personally go for your original choice of 240Gb M2 and 1Tb WD Blue, it's what I've got in my laptop.

240Gb M2 means

a/. You have space for multi boot options... when you say "at least 1 linux Distro" you can bet your ass you'll end up having more than one.

b/. leaves room for a secondary data drive

c/. speed is a massive bonus

It's not worth having an SSHD as a secondary drive as the 8gb cache on them isn't really used if you have an SSD as the primary drive, so you lose out on the extra performance and it essentially runs as a 5400rpm HDD.

Alir

Silver Level Poster
I would personally go for your original choice of 240Gb M2 and 1Tb WD Blue, it's what I've got in my laptop.

240Gb M2 means

a/. You have space for multi boot options... when you say "at least 1 linux Distro" you can bet your ass you'll end up having more than one.

b/. leaves room for a secondary data drive

c/. speed is a massive bonus

It's not worth having an SSHD as a secondary drive as the 8gb cache on them isn't really used if you have an SSD as the primary drive, so you lose out on the extra performance and it essentially runs as a 5400rpm HDD.

Oh sorry. I meant I'd have my OS on the m.2 ssd and all my programs on the hybrid.

Alir

Silver Level Poster
Lafite: i5 or i3?

How much performance difference do you think there would be between Intel® Core™ i3-5010U and Intel® Core™ i5-5200U.

Consider this is a laptop cpu not a desktop cpu.

The only difference is the higher clock speed and turbo boost.

How much of a performance boost do you think that would give?

I will try and type more tomorrow if I'm not so tired. lol

keynes

Multiverse Poster
If you have queries regarding the same spec it would be better to stick to a single thread. Difference depends on your intended use, for general use no real difference

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Oh sorry. I meant I'd have my OS on the m.2 ssd and all my programs on the hybrid.

IMO that makes little sense. You want all software on the SSD and all data on the HDD. You want all your programs to benefit from the speed of the SSD and if you're looking at a 240GB SSD you have loads of space for Windows + Linux + all their third party software.

If you go down that route you don't need a hybrid HDD, your data will really not benefit that much.

Rakk

The Awesome
Alir, I have merged a couple of your threads together, as Keynes said, it is better to stick to one thread, because then people don't end up asking the same questions multiple times.

Erchz

If you dont really need huge amount of space and weight (around 90-100 grams) is an issue you could opt for a single M2 250GB drive and you could always buy a regular 2.5" drive afterwards anyway.
That's what i did and im dual booting Windows 8.1 and Kubuntu with more than enough space.

Alir

Silver Level Poster
Alir, I have merged a couple of your threads together, as Keynes said, it is better to stick to one thread, because then people don't end up asking the same questions multiple times.

Thanks, but I kept them separate because they are about two different things?

Alir

Silver Level Poster
If you dont really need huge amount of space and weight (around 90-100 grams) is an issue you could opt for a single M2 250GB drive and you could always buy a regular 2.5" drive afterwards anyway.
That's what i did and im dual booting Windows 8.1 and Kubuntu with more than enough space.

That's what I thought but I was trying to squeeze the price under £500 for the purpose of cheaper insurance.
I just managed it by choosing 30 days' dead pixel guarantee, as opposed to 1 year. Havent bought it yet though

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Thanks, but I kept them separate because they are about two different things?
Same spec with the same requirements.
Can someone please address the difference in performance of i5 and i3?
Depends on your intended use, you should be able to get benchmarks online for the specific CPU you wish to purchase

Jamie0202

Enthusiast
Can someone please address the difference in performance of i5 and i3?

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-5200U-vs-Intel-Core-i3-5010U

Image 1.jpg

Alir

Silver Level Poster
I think it's worth saying, that graph means nothing to me.

In a practical use of my laptop, I will be using:
Word, excel, powerpoint etc. from different companies - Microsoft, WPS/Kingsoft, LibreOffice, at the same time - as in I will be using some of them at the same time
firefox with A LOT of tabs - over 10- maybe 20, sometimes more,
iTunes, other media software including movie playback software
Visual Studio - or other IDEs
Truecrypt - should be covered by the AES instructions
And general software which won't be too demanding

Point being, I will be doing a lot of multitasking but none of those programs on their own would warrant an i5.

However doing all those at the same time, would I need an i5 to keep things running smooth?
Note: I will have 8gb RAM. But would the laptop be bottlenecked by the i3 CPU?

Alir

Silver Level Poster
what would be the performance difference between the two CPUs?

And I will also be running Linux distros.

Ubuntu though I will be most likely to stick with Xububtu or Kubuntu. I have heard that they don't run well on low spec CPUs. Would the i3 count as low spec?
How well will those distros run on the i3?

I will be doing the same kind of multitasking on Linux btw

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
For your uses, I would definitely go with an i5, the i3's are fine for general browsing, but heading to multitasking, an i5 will perform an awful lot better.