Internet connection issue

neillp

Okay seeing as I am only having the issue with my Desktop I thought I would post here.

Approximately every 12 hours my PC will not load any website, it is as though the PC has lost it's internet connection. The strange thing is that the internet path looks to be fine and all other devices in the house work okay. Below is what I have tried so far.

1. change the cat 5 cable
2. Change from hard wired to Wi-Fi (little usb dongle thing and turned off power management as per ubuysa suggestion).
3. Run 2 different Malware software (I already have Norton installed).
4. Turned off any settings that might make the PC go into sleep mode.
5. Reset router (as steaky369 suggestion).
6. Turned off firewalls (as Spydertracks suggrestion).

None of the above have solved the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S I am a PC user and after that my knowledge of IT is limit so please speak slowly :)

Thanks
Neill

Last edited:

steaky360

Another thing to try is to reset your router (just switch it off for a few mins and switch it back on) might help! - Always worth a shot :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Right click on the wifi adapter in device manager and select Properties. In the window that opens click the Power Management tab. Ensure that the checkbox labelled Allow Windows to turn off this device to save power is NOT checked.

neillp

Right click on the wifi adapter in device manager and select Properties. In the window that opens click the Power Management tab. Ensure that the checkbox labelled Allow Windows to turn off this device to save power is NOT checked.

Will give it a go as no harm in trying but I think it won't fix it as the problem exists even when hard wired.
Thanks

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Will give it a go as no harm in trying but I think it won't fix it as the problem exists even when hard wired.
Thanks

Sorry, I'm having a lazy day and didn't read your post properly.

When you lose the Internet connection try these tests.

First ping 127.0.0.1 (if you don't know how to do that open up a command prompt and type the command "ping 127.0.0.1" ( without the quotes). You should get back 4 replies. If you get instead four Request timed out messages the problem is with the TCP/IP stack on your computer.

Then ping your router (probably at IP address 192.168.1.1) by typing the command "ping 192.168.1.1" (without the quotes). If you get back four replies your computer is ok and talking to the router ok (in which case the problem is the router, or your ISP). If you get back four Request timed out messages the problem is that you have lost contact with your router and I'd suspect the router in that case.

Then ping Microsoft by entering the command "ping www.microsoft.com" (without the quotes). If you get four replies you are connected to the Internet ok. If you get back four Request timed out messages (and the other tests were ok) the problem is either your router or your ISP.

Let us know how those tests go.

neillp

First ping 127.0.0.1 (if you don't know how to do that open up a command prompt and type the command "ping 127.0.0.1" ( without the quotes). You should get back 4 replies. If you get instead four Request timed out messages the problem is with the TCP/IP stack on your computer.

Then ping your router (probably at IP address 192.168.1.1) by typing the command "ping 192.168.1.1" (without the quotes). If you get back four replies your computer is ok and talking to the router ok (in which case the problem is the router, or your ISP). If you get back four Request timed out messages the problem is that you have lost contact with your router and I'd suspect the router in that case.

Then ping Microsoft by entering the command "ping www.microsoft.com" (without the quotes). If you get four replies you are connected to the Internet ok. If you get back four Request timed out messages (and the other tests were ok) the problem is either your router or your ISP.

Thanks I have just tried this and got for replies back for everything BUT the PC is working at the moment. I will wait for it to fail and try again then report back.
Many thanks!

neillp

OK the PC has just stopped me accessing websites so I ran the tests, all 3 came back with four replies. Not sure where to go next?
I have not logged on/offf to get it working again, I am responding off my laptop.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
OK the PC has just stopped me accessing websites so I ran the tests, all 3 came back with four replies. Not sure where to go next?
I have not logged on/offf to get it working again, I am responding off my laptop.

Have you got a firewall running like windows firewall or Norton or something? If so, disable it and see if you get a connection.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Good idea! Just tried it but sadly no change :(

In that case if it's only happening on your computer and not other devices, it does suggest there's something fishy on the computer, or that particular IP address that's been handed out by the router has some kind of limitations applied on the router's firewall (doubtful).

What malware scans did you run, which packages did you use?

neillp

In that case if it's only happening on your computer and not other devices, it does suggest there's something fishy on the computer, or that particular IP address that's been handed out by the router has some kind of limitations applied on the router's firewall (doubtful).

What malware scans did you run, which packages did you use?

I ran superantispyware.com and Malwarebytes.com

neillp

Dont know about superantispyware, but if Malwarebytes found nothing that's good enough for me.

Lastly, which browser are you using? Have you tried it in an alternate browser?

I normally use IE but I also have chrome installed and it happens on both. What I have noticed on chrome is that the Google search page comes up but when used it just says "this webpage is not available" on IE it just goes straight to "this page can't be displayed"

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

Well, you've just proved that you have good Internet connectivity so you don;t have to worry about drivers etc. because your connection is fine.

I normally use IE but I also have chrome installed and it happens on both. What I have noticed on chrome is that the Google search page comes up but when used it just says "this webpage is not available" on IE it just goes straight to "this page can't be displayed"

Try pinging Google (ping www.google.com) when this happens. Is it only Google you can't get to or can you not get to any web pages?

You might try typing the following into the browser address bar "http://64.4.141.247" (without the quotes). You should arrive at the home page of a company called uuplus. If that works now try typing "http://www.uuplus.com" (without quotes) and see whether that works as well, you should get to the same page.

Edit: I agree with the firewall suggestion by the way, also check that your router firewall isn't blocking you.

neillp

Well, you've just proved that you have good Internet connectivity so you don;t have to worry about drivers etc. because your connection is fine.

Try pinging Google (ping www.google.com) when this happens. Is it only Google you can't get to or can you not get to any web pages?

You might try typing the following into the browser address bar "http://64.4.141.247" (without the quotes). You should arrive at the home page of a company called uuplus. If that works now try typing "http://www.uuplus.com" (without quotes) and see whether that works as well, you should get to the same page.

Edit: I agree with the firewall suggestion by the way, also check that your router firewall isn't blocking you.

It is all websites that I can get to. I have pinged Google and got four replies, I typed in the 64.4 address to my growers (both IE and chrome) but it would not bring up the website. 😞

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It is all websites that I can get to. I have pinged Google and got four replies, I typed in the 64.4 address to my growers (both IE and chrome) but it would not bring up the website. 

Hmm that's curious. It sounds like a browser issue since ping is working fine (so the connectivity is there). If the 64.4.141.247 address didn't work then it's not a DNS issue either.

Are you able to try another device on the same router? A smartphone or tablet perhaps? If you can (even if it's a friend's) and that works ok it will at least isolate the problem to your computer. At the moment we don't know whether it's the computer or the router, so trying another device would be a very useful test.

neillp

Hmm that's curious. It sounds like a browser issue since ping is working fine (so the connectivity is there). If the 64.4.141.247 address didn't work then it's not a DNS issue either.

Are you able to try another device on the same router? A smartphone or tablet perhaps? If you can (even if it's a friend's) and that works ok it will at least isolate the problem to your computer. At the moment we don't know whether it's the computer or the router, so trying another device would be a very useful test.

The wifi works with all other devices, laptops, ipad etc. it is just the desk top that has the issue

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The wifi works with all other devices, laptops, ipad etc. it is just the desk top that has the issue

Ok, so can you download and install Firefox, you can always uninstall it later. Make no changes to it and when you get the connectivity problem try Firefox. If that fails we'll know it's not a browser issue.

neillp

Ok, so can you download and install Firefox, you can always uninstall it later. Make no changes to it and when you get the connectivity problem try Firefox. If that fails we'll know it's not a browser issue.

Done! I have un-installed chrome and turned off IE just in case. The desktop is now working as I had to restart it to get onto the internet, if the problem is still there I will lose the ability to access website in about 12 hours so will report back to let you know what happens.

really appreciate you help.

Thanks

Neill