Video files cause windows explorer to crash

ewenallan

Hey

Since I got my laptop I have had many issues with windows explorer crashing when video files are present within a folder. I'm really puzzled.

Thanks in advance

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey

Since I got my laptop I have had many issues with windows explorer crashing when video files are present within a folder. I'm really puzzled.

Thanks in advance

That's an unusual one!

2 qustions:

What format are the video files?

Do you have the preview pane open in windows explorer? Is that when the crash happens, when it tries to preview the video file?

ewenallan

The video files vary in format but I know that iPhone videos do cause the issue. The crash happens simply because the files are present. I don't need to do anything with the files...

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The video files vary in format but I know that iPhone videos do cause the issue. The crash happens simply because the files are present. I don't need to do anything with the files...

When you say iphone format can you list the extension eg. .mp4, .avi etc

Which version of windows?

ewenallan

In addition Windows Media Player doesn't run and says "windows media player has stopped working" when I try. I'm not sure if the issues are related

LFFPicard

Godlike
Firstly, turn off thumbnail view, this will stop them form crashing explorer.
iPhone/iPad files will crash explorer, it will also crash windows media player when you try and play them.

There is a fix, I am at work but I will try and find the forum post about it and let you know. Basically a few windows updates have caused this problem and the only way to fix it is to remove certain windows updates.

EDIT:
Ok, I found the forum post I had previously found and their are 4 windows updates that have caused this issue that have been reported. They are the below updates. If you need help un-installing them let us know and I am sure someone can help you run through them, as I say I am at work but the quick explanation is.. If you goto control panel, un-install a program and then once that loads there should be a quick link on the left for view windows updates.
Click this and it will list all windows updates, find the ones from the list below and remove them one at a time restarting the PC after each one. Once you have done this turn off automatic updates incase Microsoft decide to include one of these in a future update that will break it again.

KB2975719
KB2995388
KB3000850
KB3013769

Hope this helps!

This will fix all video playback/preview issues for iPhone/iPad videos on windows 8.1. This issue is not present in windows 7.

EDIT 2: I believe after removing these update you can re-enable thumbnail view on the videos and they will display again without crashing.

Last edited:

ewenallan

Thank you very much! I'm really glad there is a fix!

I will have a go at uninstalling the files later on and I will update you on how I get on.

The help is much appreciated

LFFPicard

Godlike
No worries, I have the link to the relevant thread if you need it as I am unsure if there have been any new windows updates that will create this issue again. But I done the exact same thing I have mentioned above on my GF's laptop when she received hers from here and it done the trick, I just not done any windows updates since!

ewenallan

I have since followed the exact steps you set out and the issue is gone! I honestly can thank you enough. It was beginning to really bug me haha!

LFFPicard

Godlike
Glad t is all working ok!
Hopefully a new update from Microsoft wont break it again, so as I said I disabled updates on GF's laptop because of it, so if you wish to keep them on maybe turn them to manual install, atleast that way you can check everything is still ok and if not you know what ones to remove as you just installed them.