Best Linux os?

barrydrake

Silver Level Poster
OpenSuse is not as simple as Ubuntu tp download apps and make alterations but it's incredibly nice to use. Gnome 3 is much better than Unity and the UI just seems so clean and professional :p

Unity is fantastic! New users love it. If you give it to a Windows only user, they are just loving it. Sure, the real died-in-the-wool Linux junkie is going to complain, but it really is 'horses for courses'. I'd advise anyone to confine themselves to Unity for a couple of weeks while getting into the newby mindset. I learned a lot from doing just that!

amosela

I agree Unity is fantastic, and don't agree with users who dislike it. I Just think Gnome 3 has a better experience.
This could be due to OpenSuse being my main Linux system at the moment.

The first distro I used was Ubuntu and can honestly say it is the best to use.

yeehi

I was just wondering what OS would you all use and why i have been using Mint but is there any other out there worth the look?:shaun:

This is a great question!

For me, the question is all about Freedom. I want an OS that respects my freedom. The old catch phrase is free as in freedom, not free as in beer. To use that I want an OS that runs exclusively free software. Open Source does not mean Free software. I want an OS that is free, so I choose one that uses Linux-libre instead of Linux. They are not the same. Many distros do not use Linux-libre. Ubuntu does not use Linux-libre. Ubuntu, and Ubuntu based distibutions are great because of the number of developers working on improving the OS. They are also very good because the package management system works very well. But unfortunately, Ubuntu is not free software. There is a fantastic alternative to Ubuntu though, which is free: Trisquel. Trisquel and all the software on its repositories are entirely free! I urge all users of GNU/Linux to try it out. It installs like a dream. If you would really like to do a dual boot with Windows, it makes that a total piece of cake. I highly recommend it to you.

If you are interested in your freedom, you can find out more information at the Free Software Foundation website. Perhaps you would like to join the push for a free BIOS too!

They have endorsed a number of GNU/Linux distributions and you can see them all here.