Octane Fan Control

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Hi all,

I bought a 15'6 octane in March and its been running good but I've noticed fairly high temps even when the laptop is only idling not running games or anything stressful. However I've noticed I very rarely hear the fans. Unless the computer is under stress they do not sound even active. I can set the fans to automatic maximum and custom and aside from maximum I never seem to hear them. Custom setting clearly doesn't work so i was wondering if there was another way to set the fans with another program or such? I have a Logitech lapdesk with cooling fans which seem to be making no difference.

I've got an i7-4790 with 16gb ram 2x500gb evo 850's and a gtx 970 also paid for the better pastes.

Thanks

keynes

Multiverse Poster
What temperatures are you getting for the CPU and GPU? I don't think you are able to change the fan settings with that chassis unless you run a modded BIOS which is likely to invalidate your warranty

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Hi,

thanks for replying, I'm getting 60-70 with the computer doing nothing but be switched on. There's a cooling lapdesk underneath it too. GPU is running at 55-65 with the same scenario. During gaming they are going very hot and the fans only seem to come on noticeably for 30secs or so

micgup

Bronze Level Poster
I would make sure you have the latest version of Hotkey software from Clevo's website. http://www.clevo.com.tw/clevo_down.asp?lang=en
Its quite a powerful tool to keep the temps in check by 'properly' using the fan system. The earlier version of HotKey that was downloaded from my account section did allow my chips to get hot, but the updated program from Clevo does a much better job. FYI I use the XTU fan profile.
My 17" Octane (i5-4690K & 980m) at idle has the cpu temp at around 50C and gpu at 50C also, with the fans barely doing anything. Under gaming the cpu cores average around 73C and gpu 65C. You can use MSI Afterburner software to monitor temps while gaming, and you can use Intels XTU software to check for thermal throttling. Also use Windows 8 task manager to make sure no background programs are hogging the cpu.

If you want to compare, heres a youtube video of a few minutes gaming with Afterburner showing the temps at the top left: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWoQSOhVNEs

Mick

Last edited:

micgup

Bronze Level Poster
It's just one of the fan profiles available, but I find it works really well for gaming.

Mick