Pricing Question

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Hi,

A few months ago I purchased a 15'6 Octane, upon ordering I was told my selection of an i7-4790k wasn't available due to throttling issues. So I was told to take a lesser CPU i7-4790S, now I've no problem with my laptop it works fine and i'm happy with it. However now only 2 months since purchase the laptop is now available with the i7-4790k and the i7-4790 both faster processors. The same spec as I bought with these laptops is £1,224 with K series CPU and £1,996 with the i7-4790. My current setup is now £1,198 with identical specifications. This is only 2 months and I refuse to believe parts cost that much less in the time. So not only did I not get the processor I originally wanted but I got charged almost a £100 more for it?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Hi,

A few months ago I purchased a 15'6 Octane, upon ordering I was told my selection of an i7-4790k wasn't available due to throttling issues. So I was told to take a lesser CPU i7-4790S, now I've no problem with my laptop it works fine and i'm happy with it. However now only 2 months since purchase the laptop is now available with the i7-4790k and the i7-4790 both faster processors. The same spec as I bought with these laptops is £1,224 with K series CPU and £1,996 with the i7-4790. My current setup is now £1,198 with identical specifications. This is only 2 months and I refuse to believe parts cost that much less in the time. So not only did I not get the processor I originally wanted but I got charged almost a £100 more for it?

Price of components do change quite frequent and that's not only the CPU but other components due to exchange rate fluctuations. It could have also gone the other way and go up in price. Regarding the CPU choice I would suggest contacting PCS directly for an official response.

steaky360

I don't know why you refuse to believe the price of the components has changed... because it does happen. Bare in mind all of the components in your system may have changed price slightly which can affect the current price, there might also be some kind of cheaper deal on for buying certain components at this time. Admittedly ~£100 over a two month period does seem like a lot.

I can't comment on why you were told the CPU which is now available wasn't available at the time of your purchase however, all I could think of would be some kind of Bios issue or similar which caused thermal throttling concerns'

DannyWanny

PCS Marketing
Staff member
Hi,

Hi, during our testing we did notice that higher TDP variants of the i7 CPU were creating much higher temperatures than normal under stress so we offered the S variants whilst we did some research on the matter - to stay on the safe side of things.

We did some further testing with the Octane chassis and our decision to go back to the higher TDP i7s stemmed from the fact that running Prime95 with the i7-4790K was giving 90C - although a very high temperature, not enough for the laptop to reach TjMax (Also, bear in mind this was under Prime95 - a very CPU intensive program). This was a comfortable temperature at full stress - for a laptop.

As for the pricing, as keynes has touched upon - exchange rate fluctuations. Our configurator is updated daily to coincide with how much they are at the market price. Usually these fluctuations are quite small (pennies) but given enough time, it can show quite a difference.