High Tier Gaming Rig

viciousskittle

Hi, I'm wanting to get a gaming rig that can play 1080p 144fps with ultra settings on games like Witcher 3.

At the moment I've selected a i7 Hex core -5930k, ASUS x99-s: ATX, 16gb HyperX predator quad ddr4 3000mhz RAM and a 4gb GTX 980.

The current build price is £2k, and I'm willing to pay that much, but is there a few things I can shave off to play a game like witcher on ultra 144fps, and if I can't how much would I be needing to spend to be able to?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

EDIT: Full spec:

Case
SHARKOON BD28 GAMING CASE (Green LED)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-5930K (3.5GHz) 15MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® X99-S: ATX, HSW-E CPU, USB 3.0, SATA 6 GB/s
Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X PREDATOR QUAD-DDR4 3000MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 - 1 DVI, 1 mHDMI, 3 mDP - 3D Vision Ready
1st Hard Disk
500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling
Corsair H80i GT Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
ASUS Xonar DSX - Bring Hi-Fi spirit to your Music, Movie & Games
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence
Windows 10 Upgrade
FREE Upgrade to Windows 10 with all Windows 7 & Windows 8.1 Purchases*
DVD Recovery Media
Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
PCS EXTRA-CARE DIAMOND DELIVERY - MON-FRI, PRE-NOON
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days
Promotional Item
FREE WITCHER 3: WILD HUNT Game with Select GTX 9 Series GPUs!
Promotional Item
FREE BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT Game with Select GTX 9 Series GPUs!
Quantity

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Hi, I'm wanting to get a gaming rig that can play 1080p 144fps with ultra settings on games like Witcher 3.

At the moment I've selected a i7 Hex core -5930k, ASUS x99-s: ATX, 16gb HyperX predator quad ddr4 3000mhz RAM and a 4gb GTX 980.

The current build price is £2k, and I'm willing to pay that much, but is there a few things I can shave off to play a game like witcher on ultra 144fps, and if I can't how much would I be needing to spend to be able to?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I though you were going for a gtx Titan x? What is your full spec? You could update your original thread.

Spuff

Expert
144 frames per second is a very high number. Do you have knowledge that you can perceive the difference between that and a lower fps? I don't know if you could achieve that even with two Titan X's.
A benchmark for Witcher 3 at max settings with a 980 (hair off) is about 65 fps peak, 49 low. I haven't played W3 but there are probably settings you can back off without much visual difference but you still wouldn't get close to 144fps.

Last edited:

viciousskittle

@keynes Was, but £3k is the sort of thing for 4k sort of stuff, I'm not planning on going 4k yet so I figured I could probably shave off some money

@spuffand if hair off 980 is 65 fps then benchmarking 1080p 60fps ultra is more likely

Fantana

Bronze Level Poster
@keynes Was, but £3k is the sort of thing for 4k sort of stuff, I'm not planning on going 4k yet so I figured I could probably shave off some money

@spuffand if hair off 980 is 65 fps then benchmarking 1080p 60fps ultra is more likely

For £2000 I'd make a few changes, edit the spec to:

- drop down to i7 4790k, I don't see any reason why you'd require a six core for gaming. The extra money spent on a six core would be wasted with minimal performance return per buck for your purposes.

- get a cheaper motherboard
- get cheaper RAM
- get 2 GTX 980's

I'm currently playing The Witcher 3 with SLI 980's and it runs great at steady 60fps all settings on ultra. I've played the game on both 60Hz and 144Hz and honestly it's much better to have 60fps and have all graphics options set to ultra, than 144fps and compromise on graphics settings. The human eye can't really notice the difference above 60 fps, and for gaming it's really smooth.

And if you're interested in 4k, I'd leave that for now too. Look into Nvidia's DSR technology accessible through Nvidia control panel. It enables 4k like graphics on a 1080p monitor. Simply put, it renders a game at a higher, more detailed resolution and intelligently shrinks the result back down to the resolution of your monitor, giving you up to 4k (3840x2160)-quality graphics on any screen. It works great with SLI, I was going to invest in 4k, but after seeing the results of DSR I changed my mind.

And if you're interested in specific Witcher related benchmarks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dej4_VAkx_0

Last edited: