Powerdvd14 Bluescreens on Starting

Nick280

Ok so here goes...

I just tried to install Cyberlink Powerdvd Pro 14 (which was provided with my laptop) in order to play Blu Rays. As soon as I started Powerdvd, my computer bluescreened and restarted. I then had to open my laptop in safe mode. When I tried to open Powerdvd then, it told me that either my VGA drivers needed updating, or that my VRAM was too low. I uninstalled Powerdvd and updated my VGA drivers but got the same problem when I tried to open it again. After fishing around on the internet, I've found that powerdvd needs 128mb VRAM, but my VRAM is 64mb. I've tried to go into my bios to increase this, but there is no option to do that in my bios. Is there a fault with my laptop, or the software? Alternatively, is there another way of increasing my VRAM without going into the BIOS? Or is there a similar software which will work with only 64mb VRAM?

I submitted an RMA because as far as I'm concerned, PCS have sent me software which isn't compatible with my laptop, and so it should be replaced. The RMA seems to have been rejected with no explanation offered yet (even though I've asked for one). I don't really want to buy any new software as it's been provided for free, but I can't see any alternative at the moment.

Thank you for your help.

My specs are:
Cosmos Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4710MQ (2.50GHz) 6MB
8GB KINGSTON SODIMM DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 840M - 2.0GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
240GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)
6x BLURAY ROM, 8x DVD ±R/±RW & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N CARD + BT 3.0 (RTL8723BE)
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Cosmos Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (48.84WH)
1 x UK Power Lead & 90W AC Adaptor
COSMOS 17" SERIES UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD (NON-BACKLIT)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence
FREE Upgrade to Windows 10 with all Windows 7 & Windows 8.1 Purchases
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Standard Build - Approximately 4 to 6 working days

steaky360

You have 2Gb of VRAM on the 840M... The CPU might be limited to 64mb of VRAM but your GPU definitely is not, have you tried running powerdvd via the 840M??

Nick280

You have 2Gb of VRAM on the 840M... The CPU might be limited to 64mb of VRAM but your GPU definitely is not, have you tried running powerdvd via the 840M??

Thanks for your reply Steaky. I'm not very computer clever - how do I run Powerdvd via the 840M?