Fallout 4!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Time sucks balls in moments like this, it's been flying by when I haven't needed it to, but now it'll drag and drag.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
A lot of rumours have been floating about as you would expect. One is that it may have some ties to Massachusetts and may even be set there! There were also rumours that it was going to be PS4 exclusive although the source code for the website suggests PC, PS4 and XB1.

Spuff

Expert
The countdown didn't work but it's on Twitch:
http://www.twitch.tv/bethesda

And here's the website:
http://fallout4.com/
Although not much of that is working at the moment.

I'm glad they seem to have used the game engine in the trailer and haven't falsely tarted it up. Although the graphics are not all spanking the best, bits of it do look gorgeous, and I daresay there will be improvements before launch.

steaky360

Trailer on the main site is working for me :)

[video=youtube;Lnn2rJpjar4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=13&v=Lnn2rJpjar4[/video]

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Well I was pretty excited until I saw this trailer. 2/3 of it is just following a dog and the graphics look hardly any better than Fallout 3 in the trailer. Guess I'll wait until some proper gameplay video.

Spuff

Expert
2/3 of it is just following a dog and the graphics look hardly any better than Fallout 3 in the trailer.

It's following a dog through environments, and at this stage I wouldn't wallop with a full load, it's teasing glimpses time. Comparing with New Vegas there is a difference and the camera in the trailer is closer than gameplay in Vegas. The trailer has a lot of data reduction on it.
The graphics are a bit poor in places, but I would expect the product to be better textured. The trailer is all a bit fuzzed but I expect that not to be the case in-game and there may be more they are working on. We don't know what platform standard the trailer is showing, it may be some way removed from what we can achieve on PC. Again kudos to Bethesda for apparently not trying to tart up false expectations.
Gameplay on June 14th.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
It's following a dog through environments. Comparing with New Vegas there is a difference and the camera in the trailer is closer than gameplay in Vegas. The trailer has a lot of data reduction on it.

I took that into consideration but the texture resolutions and the polygon count on objects both seem pretty disappointing. It looks far worse than Skyrim and I haven't played NV in a while to compare. But it doesn't look any better than the NV I remember.

Spuff

Expert
This is New Vegas:
Fallout_New_Vegas_Screenshot.jpg

Fallout 4 (so far):
ft4_zpsxdcjns6v.jpg

Last edited:

DannyWanny

PCS Marketing
Staff member
Sorry - Moved to relevant thread and merged with current thread in the thread.

.... Threadception.

LOVE the gameplay and the atmosphere but I can't help but feel that the Skyrim engine is already dated.

Food for thought: perhaps Bethesda have taken note of the disappointment and hollow promises of the console consumers and devs respectively. The ONLY people that have delivered on their promises this year has been CDPR with The Witcher and even that took a downgrade (controversial I know, but it did. No two ways about that). Soooooo with that in mind, perhaps they're trying to show crappy, unoptimised GFX in-engine at the beginning and end up stunning people once it's out because the finished product will truly be beautiful?

Wishful thinking perhaps?

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Might just be me with this opinion, but as long as the graphics are the same as or better than new vegas then i won't mind. This game is all about the vast amount of content and exploration, not the graphics so much.

No matter what i'm getting this game, love both the fallout and elder scrolls series!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Might just be me with this opinion, but as long as the graphics are the same as or better than new vegas then i won't mind. This game is all about the vast amount of content and exploration, not the graphics so much.

No matter what i'm getting this game, love both the fallout and elder scrolls series!

Not saying that games are all about the graphics and I will reserve my full judgement for when I see a proper gameplay trailer as the trailer released today was far from spectacular.

On the point of graphics though, I do think they can help a game, especially one in a world like this. I don't think Metro would have been anywhere near as good of a game had it not been for the amazing graphics. It helped with the immersion so much and helped the environment come alive. If Fallout was like that, the immersion into its post-apocalyptic world would be so much better. At least I think it would.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Not saying that games are all about the graphics and I will reserve my full judgement for when I see a proper gameplay trailer as the trailer released today was far from spectacular.

On the point of graphics though, I do think they can help a game, especially one in a world like this. I don't think Metro would have been anywhere near as good of a game had it not been for the amazing graphics. It helped with the immersion so much and helped the environment come alive. If Fallout was like that, the immersion into its post-apocalyptic world would be so much better. At least I think it would.

I agree, better graphics are always a good thing. I think that certain games really do benefit from better graphics, especially those that are more linear, such as metro as you pointed out, but open world games don't benefit as much in my opinion. Take the witcher 3, the graphics were good, but it didn't really immerse me more because I was just doing my own thing running around the world