Advice regarding Nexus tablet.

Hawk

Apologies to mods if this is in the wrong section.

I've acquired a Nexus 7 type 1 and managed to get my head around the odd (to me!) OS.

All I need it for is to be able to visit the internet using either Firefox or IE, mainly for emails for which I use GMX.

Here at home I can do all these perfectly from my wireless router donnection. My ISP is Zen.

Now for the numpty questions:
When I want to do all these things in other places (including supermarkets and camp fields!) I have no WiFi connection.
What can I do to get round this? Words of one syllable, please :eek:

Rakk

The Awesome
When I want to do all these things in other places (including supermarkets and camp fields!) I have no WiFi connection.
What can I do to get round this? Words of one syllable, please :eek:

Well, I know some supermarkets do have their own WiFi connections set up (my local Asda does), though you will often need to register with your phone first.

For places with no WiFi you would probably need to set up your phone as a HotSpot and get your Nexus to use that as your connection.

Hawk

Thanks, but I don't have a smart phone (hence reason for getting a tablet) and in many places I'll not be near a town as we camp a lot in the summer.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Thanks, but I don't have a smart phone (hence reason for getting a tablet) and in many places I'll not be near a town as we camp a lot in the summer.

Can you add a SIM card to the tablet? That's the only way you can get internet access on camp sites

keynes

Multiverse Poster
There's no slot directly, but would it be possible somehow with the micro USB, do you know?

TIA.

You could buy those external dongles that provides wireless internet connection to multiple devices. Have a look at the Osprix 2 from EE, I had to buy one to do some work when commuting.

Hawk

Thanks, I'll have a trawl around EBay for one later.

Am I right in assuming they do the same job as my wireless Netgear router I'm using here to connect to my landline phone?

One thing I found is that my ISP (Zen) don't seem to do mobile broadband so does that mean I have to change my ISP (don't want the cost of running two!)?

If so, any recommendations? I know BT keep sending me junk mail!

Rakk

The Awesome
Am I right in assuming they do the same job as my wireless Netgear router I'm using here to connect to my landline phone?

One thing I found is that my ISP (Zen) don't seem to do mobile broadband so does that mean I have to change my ISP (don't want the cost of running two!)?

Presuming I'm looking at the same things, the dongles do not connect to your home network, they connect to one of the mobile phone networks, so no you wouldn't have to change your ISP, however I do not know if you can get the dongles without having a phone contract.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Presuming I'm looking at the same things, the dongles do not connect to your home network, they connect to one of the mobile phone networks, so no you wouldn't have to change your ISP, however I do not know if you can get the dongles without having a phone contract.

Got mine for a 30 day contract that I cancelled the day after I received it. 15gb for £20.

Hawk

Hmmm ... sorry, but I'm not really any the wiser.
I have a landline from BT connected to my Netgear router, and can use my Nexus and laptop normally.

My mobile phone is Tesco, which is actually O2. It isn't a smartphone, only voice and text.

I've looked at dongles on EBay and there are ones with the micro-USB plug for connecting to Nexus.

If I buy one, what else do I have to do?

TIA and sorry to be a PITA!

If you bye one you would have to have a contract with whichever mobile network operator you choose to get a sim from. This contract would be what then allowed you to use the dongle to connect to the internet. There are two types of contract though, a pay as you go (put this amount of money on now and this amount when you've used up the money on you card) or contract (pay this much a month and get x amount of data). For a mobile internet dongle a contract would probably be better than pay as you go, also this would effectively mean that with you home network as well you would be paying for internet access twice (not ideal unless you have money trees in you garden). Alternatively somewhere in your phone settings there may be a share internet option which means that you phone would act as the dongle, but wireless (though this depend on you phone contract, pay as you goe e.t.c). What type of phone and contract do you have?