vortex vs octane

masyarrum

Bronze Level Poster
masyarrum I have merged all 3 of your threads together since they are all very much related, it's better if you can stick to one thread because it means people don't end up asking the same questions or saying the same thing more than once and often previous reponses will explain why you've made certain decisions :)

Awww okay, sorry! haha.

micgup

Bronze Level Poster
Future proof: Octane.
Newer design, which takes a desktop cpu, so even now you can have a 4790k, which for the price no mobile cpu can come close to its performance.
Lots of storage options and drive options, apart from an optical drive.

Tho I might be biased as I own one :)

Mick

masyarrum

Bronze Level Poster
Future proof: Octane.
Newer design, which takes a desktop cpu, so even now you can have a 4790k, which for the price no mobile cpu can come close to its performance.
Lots of storage options and drive options, apart from an optical drive.

Tho I might be biased as I own one :)

Mick

Thanks! Probably gonna go for the Octane I think :)

Mordant

Silver Level Poster
I'd change the V300 SSD if you at all can as its got big performance issues.

There's not a lot of difference really especially thinking about future proofing - they're practically the same for that I'd think.

The main difference is the processor - more cores if that matters to the software you'll be running and more power management with the Vortex so running on battery should last longer.

The Octane runs faster by default but the Vortex will turbo boost to as fast if needed but only with one core running iirc.

Overall I'd decide based on which case I prefer and look at connectivity too - the Vortex has FireWire but the Octane doesn't for example which might make a difference to you.

masyarrum

Bronze Level Poster
I'd change the V300 SSD if you at all can as its got big performance issues.

There's not a lot of difference really especially thinking about future proofing - they're practically the same for that I'd think.

The main difference is the processor - more cores if that matters to the software you'll be running and more power management with the Vortex so running on battery should last longer.

The Octane runs faster by default but the Vortex will turbo boost to as fast if needed but only with one core running iirc.

Overall I'd decide based on which case I prefer and look at connectivity too - the Vortex has FireWire but the Octane doesn't for example which might make a difference to you.

looks like the components just went down in price! I can now afford the samsung 250 ssd! And it's just under £1500! :)

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Basically yes because it has less room for heat sinks/fans and everything is smushed a bit closer together.

Anim

The real question is, does that cause a heat issue or not. If the cooling is really efficient then it shouldn't matter.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The real question is, does that cause a heat issue or not. If the cooling is really efficient then it shouldn't matter.

From the user reviews I've read, the 15" and 17" Octane have very impressive cooling given the power of the chips... they do run slightly hotter than a normal laptop, but you'd expect that, but they're still way within tolerances.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster

I wouldn't expect it to cause any issues at all, apart from the fan kicking in slightly earlier perhaps but overall it would be negligible.

masyarrum

Bronze Level Poster
So there are the same amount of heat pipes etc...? Wanting the portability for uni, yet it to not over heat etc. Cheers for all of your inputs.

micgup

Bronze Level Poster
Looking at the technical manual for the P751/P771 there its no difference between the part numbers for either model (15"/17") for the heatsink assembly, both cpu and gpu. So in theory the cooling should be the same :)

The only heat issues you will experience that may lead to thermal throttling is if you go for the top line 4790k cpu and stress it to the max with a program like Prime. But even then you have the option of dropping the core voltage using Intel's XTU, to mange the temps.

Mick

masyarrum

Bronze Level Poster
Looking at the technical manual for the P751/P771 there its no difference between the part numbers for either model (15"/17") for the heatsink assembly, both cpu and gpu. So in theory the cooling should be the same :)

The only heat issues you will experience that may lead to thermal throttling is if you go for the top line 4790k cpu and stress it to the max with a program like Prime. But even then you have the option of dropping the core voltage using Intel's XTU, to mange the temps.

Mick

masyarrum

Bronze Level Poster
external disc drive.

Do I really need one....? Are there any drivers I need to install by CD when I get the laptop...? Or can it all be done online?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Do I really need one....? Are there any drivers I need to install by CD when I get the laptop...? Or can it all be done online?

If you're getting it with an OS then drivers will all be installed for you. If you're installing your own OS, then you should download at least the chipset and wifi drivers onto a USB key so they're ready as you won't have wifi connectivity primarily until you've installed those.

masyarrum

Bronze Level Poster
If you're getting it with an OS then drivers will all be installed for you. If you're installing your own OS, then you should download at least the chipset and wifi drivers onto a USB key so they're ready as you won't have wifi connectivity primarily until you've installed those.

Well I'm not installing it so I guess I won't need it. Thanks :)

masyarrum

Bronze Level Poster
GTX 980m

Has anyone noticed the gtx 980m is only £125 on the Octane 17.3"?? Why is that..? I'd understand anything else going down but the gtx 980m?? bit mad...

Not that I'm complaining, just curious!

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Has anyone noticed the gtx 980m is only £125 on the Octane 17.3"?? Why is that..? I'd understand anything else going down but the gtx 980m?? bit mad...

Not that I'm complaining, just curious!

for pricing you may need to contact PCS directly.