Processors, overclocking and heat

Sooooooo I've got an Intel Core i7 5820K...

Great processor, I just wanted a *little* more juice from it.

Down to business... I've got the Coolermaster 212 tower cooler on there and I've ramped the multiplier up to 39 gradually over the last few day, keeping the clocks at 100MHz (you know how it goes, tinkering here and there). It's all still stable and I'm happy at that speed - considering I'm only air-cooled - so I thought I'd download Speccy to keep an eye on the temperatures whilst I pummeled the cores with some small FTTs in Prime95 (26.6.1.0 to be precise).

Now, I did this over the course of around 7-10 minutes and I'm confident that this is as hot as the cores are going to get at full load. Take a peak...

Screenshot (1).jpg

What I now want to know: is this acceptable? The temperatures you can see there are the absolute maximum I've observed and had been unwavering for around 3 minutes. Bare in mind that today is pretty warm in my house (unusually so), though I do prefer to keep my room cooler (and I normally do), it just isn't possible right now to bring down the ambient air temperature. Today, the hottest 2 cores are 'idling' at 42-43 Celsius (not completely idling, I have a few apps open but they're not CPU intensive in the slightest). I appreciate that's a little on the warm side, but it won't do the processor any harm at that temperature right?

I dare say I'll not truly max out this processor in a 'real world' situation. I normally just game on it though I do do audio work on it a fair bit, I still don't see myself reaching 100% usage in a regular gaming or audio work situation.

EDIT: Sorry for the upside down picture, will correct this shortly.

EDIT: So it appears as though however I orient the image, it will display upside down when I attach it here. Lol... Sorry...

EDIT: Fixed it... Sort of lol I have screen shotted the image instead.

Last edited:

Karnor00

Bright Spark
At 70C it's slightly on the warm side, but that's to be expected if overclocking with air cooling. I'd say those temperatures are still acceptable at full load. If it started getting up to around 80C on full load is when I'd start worrying.

Idles temperatures are again a little on the warm side - mid 30's would be more normal, but personally I wouldn't worry about low 40's particularly as you say it was a hot day.

Thanks Karnor, really appreciate the reassurance. I felt like it was on the warm side. I'm going to add a strong inlet fan at the bottom of the case and then add a stronger roof extractor. The one I have is barely pushing air to be honest.

The temperature today is still a little warmer than I'd normally have it in here and the hottest core is now at 40C only with the GOG client and Chrome open so that's a little better. Might just keep a window cracked too. I've always preferred a cooler room anyhow. Playing The Witcher @ Ultra (except for foliage draw distance which is set to high to maintain high frames) and it gets the CPU to an average temperature of 52C, the hottest core at 54C.

Thanks again. If you've anything else to add that would be great, otherwise take care and happy 'computer-ing'!