Virus Attack, can't get into safe mode.

dollyjock

Hello
My sons computer has just been infected with a virus (my fault as he told me bullguard had expired ) but I can't get into safe mode by pressing F8 as his system has some sort of graphics card screen that has no option for safe mode. Tried a few things I read on here like cmd exe but that does not let me in either.
Is there any way I can get back to the default bios screen allowing me to enter into safe mode?
Any help most welcome

Thanks

LFC908

Bronze Level Poster
Is it an Asus motherboard? To get to my safemode I have to click tab a few times on the black screen near start up and then F8.

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
Hi dollyjock,

1. Please try what LFC908 has suggested. Repeatedly press F8 and Shift when the computer boots.
2. If this does not work you can simply pop in your Windows CD and select the 'Repair My Computer' option.
3. If you do not have one you can try forcing Windows to show the Repair options by cycling the power of your PC when windows starts to load (windows loading icon). I.e. hold down the power button to turn it off and on when you see the Windows load screen. It will take around 3 attempts to trigger the Windows Recovery mode.
4. If you can't get to the Windows loading icon then, please try downloading and burning to disk an Anti-Malware Live CD such as AVC Rescue CD (http://www.avg.com/gb-en/avg-rescue-cd). This will scan the computer to remove the virus without loading Windows.
5. If you can't get passed the BIOS, then even though unlikely, it is possible that the virus has infected the BIOS it's self. In which you will need to flash it. Please visit your Motherboards product page support section to see how to do this.

Hope that gets your Sons PC going again. : )

Reece