Optimus VI 13.3" Heat vs Performance

Renz

According to notebookcheck, the configuring an i7 4810mq for the Optimus VI model can heat the CPU to over 90 degrees Celsius when under full load. I'm assuming the cooling for this laptop is fairly poor because it only has one fan.

I want to use an i7 4910mq, which is higher clocked and so will probably run even hotter.

My current laptop runs at 90+ degrees Celsius all the time and is still strong after 2 years. I haven't seen any consequences yet.

I don't mind the temperatures, but I'd like to know all the consequences of running a cpu near boiling point, especially for this tiny laptop. It would help if someone who owns this has any problems with temperature.
How performance is affected?
How are other components affected?

Will applying Arctic thermal paste, instead of default standard paste, help with the temperatures significantly?
What kind of cooling pad can I use to lower the temperatures significantly?

Thanks

steaky360

Modern CPU's are built to work at higher temperatures than older CPU's typically were. I think for most users (without knowing exactly what you're going to be using the laptop for) wont experience any issues using a laptop that gets to these sorts of temps mostly because its 'at full load' and most people don't leave their laptops running at full load for any real extended length of time. If you do intend on using the laptop for extended periods at full load and basically expect the CPU to sit at a high temp for a long time, then I'd suggest considering an alternative solution (desktop with better cooling for example?) - If you require a laptop you can use lap coolers or cooling stands which might help a couple of degrees under load. There are plenty to choose from.

That said, its likely that running within the design temps (so the CPU isn't thermal throttling) is going to be ok for the foreseeable future, after all its the parameters the processor was designed to run within.

Applying different thermal pastes in my small meagre research (Google is your friend :):)) does not make a massive difference, at most a degree or two for air cooling. That said, every little helps and the 'comfort factor' might be worth the small additional charge to have it applied to your build.

Renz

Modern CPU's are built to work at higher temperatures than older CPU's typically were. I think for most users (without knowing exactly what you're going to be using the laptop for) wont experience any issues using a laptop that gets to these sorts of temps mostly because its 'at full load' and most people don't leave their laptops running at full load for any real extended length of time. If you do intend on using the laptop for extended periods at full load and basically expect the CPU to sit at a high temp for a long time, then I'd suggest considering an alternative solution (desktop with better cooling for example?) - If you require a laptop you can use lap coolers or cooling stands which might help a couple of degrees under load. There are plenty to choose from.

That said, its likely that running within the design temps (so the CPU isn't thermal throttling) is going to be ok for the foreseeable future, after all its the parameters the processor was designed to run within.

Applying different thermal pastes in my small meagre research (Google is your friend :):)) does not make a massive difference, at most a degree or two for air cooling. That said, every little helps and the 'comfort factor' might be worth the small additional charge to have it applied to your build.

I appreciate your reply.
What is thermal throttling and what is design temperature?
How do they relate to each other?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Design temperature is the tolerance that the processor will usually work in so say 35 c on idle and 75c under load.

Thermal throttling is where the chip reaches its maximum temperature and applies underclocking and undervoltage to bring it back within acceptable temps. This is the big no no, if you're getting throttling it means there's something wrong with your cooling or thermal paste and the chip is suffering. Also of course it severely affects performance.

Renz

Design temperature is the tolerance that the processor will usually work in so say 35 c on idle and 75c under load.

Thermal throttling is where the chip reaches its maximum temperature and applies underclocking and undervoltage to bring it back within acceptable temps. This is the big no no, if you're getting throttling it means there's something wrong with your cooling or thermal paste and the chip is suffering. Also of course it severely affects performance.

Thanks SpyderTracks
I read that the "T junction" temperature for the i7 4910mq is 100 degrees Celsius. I'll assume this is the design temperature.
Does that mean that as long as 100 degrees Celsius is not passed, there's no thermal throttling?

I'd also like to know if PCS changes the cooling fan for each cpu config, to counter the heat. If not, then it seems unnecessary to configure this kind of cpu inside a 13.3" laptop. According to Notebookcheck, they couldn't even benchmark the lower priced i7 4810MQ for the 13.3" model due to "turbo boost" issues. Moreover various sources say this cpu is only suitable for 15.6" laptops, which makes me wonder why the cpu is an option in the first place. Why does PCS allow seemingly unsuitable CPUs for this laptop? It feels misleading without good research.

Update:
Info for i7 4910mq
Notebookchecks review for XMG A505 (Same as laptop I'm talking about)

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Please don't ignore

I don't think anyone that read your post is ignoring it but the only thing I would do is to contact PCS directly for an official response. They should have carried extensive test on the chassis.