Keeping SSD OS only?

qwerty

Hi, I have a new Cosmos laptop with a small SSD. I only want Windows 7 to be on the SSD. I have created a folder on my 750GB Scorpio Black called "Alternative" Programme Files and always route new installations (e.g. Office etc to this new directory). Is there an easy way to keep the C drive (SSD) OS only?!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi, I have a new Cosmos laptop with a small SSD. I only want Windows 7 to be on the SSD. I have created a folder on my 750GB Scorpio Black called "Alternative" Programme Files and always route new installations (e.g. Office etc to this new directory). Is there an easy way to keep the C drive (SSD) OS only?!

You just have to manually specify the d drive for all programs including cloud storage like live drive Etc.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

That should be plenty big enough for Windows and all your programs. I don't game but I have a shed load of third party software installed and my Windows 8.1 and all programs occupies less than half of my 120GB SSD. I suggest you give it a try before going down a more complex and slower performing route.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Apart from a few very large programs, all mine fit on a 120GB SSD. You pay a lot for an SSD, you want to try and get best value by using almost 100% of it.

accip

What kind of programs do you keep on your SSD guys? I know OS goes onto it, but what else benefits from it (apart from game loading times, etc.). Anything that you want to load faster or..?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Pretty much all my programs except Visual Studio are on my SSD. Some of my most played games are on there, to reduce loading times on those but for everything else, I don't really need an SSD for them because I'm not playing them daily and most games don't take long enough to load for it to become a nuisance.

qwerty

Pretty much all my programs except Visual Studio are on my SSD. Some of my most played games are on there, to reduce loading times on those but for everything else, I don't really need an SSD for them because I'm not playing them daily and most games don't take long enough to load for it to become a nuisance.

Do SSDs not suffer performance issue (like older drives) when they are close to 100% full?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Mine's at 90%, no performance issues. I think 90% is about right. It leaves space for the pagefile etc to be more dynamic.

Alan16ac

Gold Level Poster
I have most general things installed on my SSD. The HDD is just used for games, and all my videos and pictures...

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Do SSDs not suffer performance issue (like older drives) when they are close to 100% full?

No. The performance issues on full HDDs is caused by increased seek times (the time to move the read/write heads). On an SSD every single block can be read/written in exactly the same time regardless of how full the disk is.