New GPU not working

Hi,

I just bought a brand new GTX 980Ti (MSI Gaming 6G edition) and installed it into my PCS computer, and get no signal from any of its ports.

• Yes, it is connected to the PSU (Corsair 850W RM series)
  • It is securely in the first PCIe port, I have removed and reinstalled it carefully
  • I have also tried it in the other PCIe ports, same result
  • The GPU fans spin and it gets quite warm
  • The integrated graphics ports on the Motherboard (ASUS Z97 PRO GAMER) stop working when the GPU is connected, so it seems that the motherboard knows there's a GPU there
  • The motherboard firmware is the latest version

I have also tried disabling the Intel HD Graphics 4600 drivers, and also tried setting the BIOS to force PCIe, but it just goes back to Auto as soon as I Save and Exit.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hello Brewmaster,

What connection are you using to connect to the Monitor from the GPU.

I have a funny feeling i had to use DVI before i could get HDMI to work but that might have just been me. I'm pretty sure the GPUS come with an adapter if that helps you try a different type of connection.

Hope this helps.

Spuff

Expert
When I first booted after GPU installation, Windows booted and the screen was totally blank. I thought I would have to go inside again or I had a dud, but after about 4 seconds it burst into life and all was well. This suggests something in Windows has to shake hands with the GPU. It may therefore be a software issue you have.
I'm using Geforce driver 353.06 (there have been two game focused updates since then, the first of which caused me issues so I rolled back).

The fans shouldn't be spinning if just in Windows.
It was 33 degrees in my flat yesterday and my 980ti (MSI Gaming) fans didn't spin outside of gaming.
It will get quite hot, mine is just under 60 degrees now, and in benchmarking it goes just over 80 degrees

Last edited:
Thanks both for your replies. I eventually got it working, using DVI as suggested with an old display. Turns out it was a problem with my new display (Dell P2715Q) that means it sometimes has to be disconnected from the mains and restarted before it will recognise newly connected DP or mDP devices...

Is 59.0 C normal for an idle temperature? It's what I'm getting, which seems surprisingly high and despite what you have said it's well above the temperatures recorded in the reviews I've read on the card. Hopefully nothing to worry about!

Many thanks

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Thanks both for your replies. I eventually got it working, using DVI as suggested with an old display. Turns out it was a problem with my new display (Dell P2715Q) that means it sometimes has to be disconnected from the mains and restarted before it will recognise newly connected DP or mDP devices...

Is 59.0 C normal for an idle temperature? It's what I'm getting, which seems surprisingly high and despite what you have said it's well above the temperatures recorded in the reviews I've read on the card. Hopefully nothing to worry about!

Many thanks

The temps depends on your full set and room temperature

Spuff

Expert
Is 59.0 C normal for an idle temperature? It's what I'm getting, which seems surprisingly high and despite what you have said it's well above the temperatures recorded in the reviews I've read on the card.

I'm idle at the moment and I'm at 58 degrees. So normal it does seem.
Perhaps a review's idle has less going on then when I consider my PC idle.
The Guru3d temp idle is way lower, but their gaming temp is a bit higher than when I pushed my 980ti in benchmarking.
Plus, I don't know what cooling scheme they have in their test PC.

Last edited: