Upgrading to windows 10

Stressed

Silver Level Poster
Hi All,

Tried using the search function for this but was not able to find info on this.

Basically you all know by now that you can get windows 10 free if you have windows 8.
For some reason I'm not able to make the taskbar button appear. This is required for registering and upgrading (it's like an app apparently).
My windows is set to auto updates.

I have windows 8.1 bought from PCS. Anyone made it work so far?

Many thanks

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Make sure you have installed all important updates, the one that installs the icon and Windows 10 reservation is KB3035583 (dated 20/5/2015).

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Make sure you have installed all important updates, the one that installs the icon and Windows 10 reservation is KB3035583 (dated 20/5/2015).

There are a few different bugs, not just from the update. I had it installed but it still wasn't working. Turned out the registry hadn't been updated and the GWX folder within it did not contain the correct files. Even after reinstalling the update it was not working.

Pagey

Bright Spark
The app is a little irrelevant as all it does is ensure you get notified when it's ready, that's it.

If it doesn't come up it's not a major loss as you'll be able to download the W10 ISO direct from Microsoft themselves and install it that way.

Now if the version of Windows you have is W8, (not W8.1) or that W7 Starter thingy, it won't appear as they aren't in the free upgrade deal.

If you ARE using W8 then you can update it going through the app store, or again download the W8.1 ISO from Microsoft.

Stressed

Silver Level Poster
I have W8.1
And also I have made sure that update KB3035583 (dated 20/5/2015) is there.. So at this point I am not sure what else to do.

Oh so Microsoft will release an ISO with W10? Would it work if I don't have a cd rom?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Use the program specified in the first response to your post by steaky. It worked great for me :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The app is a little irrelevant as all it does is ensure you get notified when it's ready, that's it.

If it doesn't come up it's not a major loss as you'll be able to download the W10 ISO direct from Microsoft themselves and install it that way.

Now if the version of Windows you have is W8, (not W8.1) or that W7 Starter thingy, it won't appear as they aren't in the free upgrade deal.

If you ARE using W8 then you can update it going through the app store, or again download the W8.1 ISO from Microsoft.

That's not entirely accurate, the app does more than notify you when Windows 10 is ready. If you have reserved your upgrade via the app it will automatically be downloaded to your device, you won't have to go and get it (it's a 3GB download though). You can install the upgrade whenever it suits you though.

See https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade

I have W8.1
And also I have made sure that update KB3035583 (dated 20/5/2015) is there.. So at this point I am not sure what else to do.

Oh so Microsoft will release an ISO with W10? Would it work if I don't have a cd rom?

Microsoft have already announced that a .iso image for a clean install of Windows 10 will be available on July 29th. They will publsh the download sites on that day.

See http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e/ccdb1215-76f9-41cf-8f68-1c94d6cef2af?auth=1 and also http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-windows/31722b30-1da9-42bb-b331-0edc4649bf43

Pagey

Bright Spark
Microsoft are rumored to be offering W10 on a USB stick, so DVD drives are rendered moot.