Ubuntu on Ultranote II

Willo

Yesterday I took delivery of my Ultranote II and thought I would share my experiences so far.

I installed Unbuntu 14.04 LTS and basically everything has gone very smoothly (at least after I realised that just downloading the .iso file onto a USB stick doesn't turn it in to a boot drive:whistling:). So far everything is running smootly. Wirelss, bluetooth, card reader, touchpad. I haven't been able to watch a DVD yet but I think that is more something to do with the viewer rather than not having the driver as it reads the files on the disc fine.

I am a complete novice on this sort of thing and I still have a lot to learn but I am impressed with how easy the start has been. Many thanks to Stephen M and the reassurance he gave me while I was chosing the spec.

If it is of any help thehe spec I chose are as follows:

Chassis & Display
UltraNote: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS LED Backlit Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4712MQ (2.30GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON SODIMM DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
INTEL® HD GRAPHICS MEDIA ACCELERATOR 4600
Memory - Hard Disk
500GB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
mSATA/M.2 SSD Drive
240GB INTEL® 530 mSATA 6Gb/s SSD (upto 540MB/sR | 480MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
UltraNote Series: 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N-7260 HMC (300Mbps, 802.11BGN) + BLUETOOTH

Stephen M

Author Level
Thanks for the thanks. What media player are you using, I like VLC, that is pretty good for most video and audio codecs.

Willo

Thanks T-dome. All sorted now. I was begining to get a bit annoyed as the instructions in your link didn't work. Until I realised I hadn't followed them entirely.:rolleyes: One removal and reinstall later and I can now watch dvds.

Next step to try a few other distros.

t-dome

You can try Linux Mint - it should have codecs preinstalled. It comes with 2 major desktops - Cinnamon and KDE.