Mouse pointer lag on Windows 10

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
This might be normal behaviour but I wanted to check whether anyone else sees it.

In Windows 10 (Pro) the mouse pointer becomes unresponsive when some system task is in progress. For example, if I empty a pretty full inbox the mouse pointer is completely unresponsive until the empty recycle bin task ends. It happens also when I close some windows, if the window close process takes a second or so the mouse pointer is unresponsive during this time. In all other respects the mouse pointer is perfectly fine.

It looks almost like a multitasking issue, as though the mouse handing process (an interrupt driven process I guess) does not get it's interrupts handled during some system tasks (CPU's masked for interrupts perhaps?).

It's definitely not a resource shortage issue, I've had the performance monitor running during these unresponsive events and all resources are barely stretched. All drivers are up to date and it still happens with every external device disconnected (including the wireless mouse). The only thing I have noticed is that the touchpad gestures no longer work, so perhaps it's a problem with the Elan touchpad driver and Windows 10? Clevo have no updated driver for my Optimus IV.

Does anyone else see this mouse pointer behaviour? If you do then I'll just accept it for mow, it will get fixed in time. If nobody else sees this though I'll need to do some more digging.

FWIW I installed Windows 10 by downloading the .iso file from Microsoft (using the new tool) and executed the burned DVD from within an activated Windows 8.1 system. I selected a clean install (i.e. keep nothing) and then installed all the drivers I'd been using on Windows 8.1. Since then I've updated a couple of drivers because there were later (Windows 10) versions available.

steaky360

I've noticed this a few times, although not enough to really warrant investigation (laziness I know... I'm sorry... I'm letting the team down...) - could be entirely unrelated and just a coincidence of course but teats unlikely I'd guess.

I've done the same install technique as you except for using a usb to install rather than a dvd (didn't have any dvd's). Kept nothing and am slowly trying to find win10 specific drivers.

Pagey

Bright Spark
You're not alone dude, I've been suffering with this for a while now.

I HAVE done a completely fresh install on mine and never got rid of the issue. What I've noticed happening is the fact the whole system becomes unresponsive during this time, not just the pointer. I put a complaint in the Windows Feedback app and someone else has had the same problem, so it's not just us.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks very much guys, at least I know it's not me. I'll wait for this to get fixed.......

Pagey

Bright Spark
Just a heads-up: A new cumulative update has appeared and seems to have sorted the sticking out.

steaky360

I've not checked - tbh im not sure how to actually find windows updates on win10 yet... mostly because I've not looked yet :p

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've not checked - tbh im not sure how to actually find windows updates on win10 yet... mostly because I've not looked yet :p

It's under Settings, but it's all automatic anyway, the only input you get is when to do the restart.

I've done two clean WIn10 installs now and in both cases WIndows update says it's failed to install drivers for some of my hardware, yet a Check For Updates delivers no more updates. In Device Manager these dvices show current dated drivers but the Event section says "further installation required" which says to me that the drivers aren't functioning properly.

It's impossible to debug the mouse lag with improperly installed drivers. SO I've gone back to Windows 8.1 and I'll let Windows 10 mature a bit first. It's possible of course that there may never be Windows 10 drivers for some of my (Optimus IV) hardware.

Pagey

Bright Spark
Well from my experience so far: I've let Windows install drivers for me, (yeah it did say that some drivers failed and then failed to allow me to install them again,) but everything still works. The Freezing issue persists, but isn't as bad as it was before, but still annoying.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Well from my experience so far: I've let Windows install drivers for me, (yeah it did say that some drivers failed and then failed to allow me to install them again,) but everything still works. The Freezing issue persists, but isn't as bad as it was before, but still annoying.

In a sad way that's encouraging (because it means it's not just me). Does your card reader work? Mine never did on Windows 10 no matter what I tried. The mouse freezing was the big issue, plus the faffing around to get drivers properly installed (and the fact that having failed to install drivers Windows update does not select them ever again!).

I'm back on 8.1 and I'll wait a few months now......

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Have you reinstalled the mouse driver?

I updated my laptop to windows 10 and it uninstalled the mouse driver, so i just reinstalled the windows 8.1 driver for it and it's working fine

tdmgamer

Hello,
i registered me, to post my solution, cause i have the same problems.
Also if i close the Task Manager there is a little "thinking break"

I could stop it, by let the taskbar beeing visible the hole time.
My problem is caused by Graphiccards Intel 4000 & Nvidia 640m (i have a notebook). If the nvidia driver isnt installed no problem are there.
when its installed, lags are there, until i have set the taskbar visible.

I have another notebook, with intel and nvidia (a bader card), there is no problem with this.
i think there is a problem with the optimus technology by nvidia. when i close the taskmanager he try to use the gpu (nvidia), but is normaly not necessary.

i hope this is a little solution for you, but i also hope that someone find a better solution for this, i dont need to see the taskbar the hole time.

Last edited:

lorein0688

Well, it is the most annoying error found by the Windows 10 users but it can be fixed by taking help of some steps.

Step 1 – Enable or Disable Scroll Inactive Windows
1. Very firstly go to Settings > Devices > Mouse & Touchpad. And search the Scroll Inactive Windows option and enable/disable it.
2. Now attempt to disable and enable the option for few times and ensure the issue is solved or not.

Hope this will help you out to fix the issue

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Following Pagey's advice the mouse pointer lag issue is solved by manually installing the Windows 8.1 chipset driver. At least it is on my Optimus IV. After the recent upgrade to 1511 the mouse pointer lag issue returned, that was because the upgrade is actually a reinstall, and reinstalling the chipset driver afterwards solved the problem again.