Problems with router for gaming

LiteonMU

Hello everyone,

well i moved to a new house and when i tried to log on clash of clans on my phone using wifi it wouldnt load the game, then i tried league of legends on my pc but this would work either, agar io on the internet wont work either. So the problem is that i can browse but i cant play online games. The router is a TP-LINK TL-WR841N. I tried port forwarding but nothing changed i disabled the firewall on the router but nothing happened. i checked the ipconfig and did a ping test and everything seems to be fine. So what do you guys think that i can do to solve this?

Thanks to all in advance

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Download inSSIDer3 from http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html (it's free to use) and survey the hotspots in your local area. Take particular note of the busiest channels (1, 6 and 11 usually) and pick the least busy channel for your router (I use 13, strangely nobody ever uses that, which is perfect!).

The key phrase in your post is " i moved to a new house" so all other things being equal it's most likely the wireless environment you're in and congested channels or cross-channel interference. InSSIDer3 can show you all that. It would also be worth downloading a WiFi Analyzer to your phone too and wander around your new house looking for the weak signal spots from your router.

LiteonMU

Hi well i installed the programme and it tells me my link is 100 which is the max i guess so i guess i am in the right channel?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi well i installed the programme and it tells me my link is 100 which is the max i guess so i guess i am in the right channel?

No, I'm not even sure where you're seeing the 100?

You need to select the Network tab so the display looks like the image here. The list at the top left will show all the hotspots in your local area. The Signal column shows the signal strength, lower numbers are stronger signals.

The graphs at bottom left show the distribution of hotspots across the available channels. I'm in a pretty busy area so there are no free channels, I've just picked the least congested one. If you highlight a hotspot in the list at top left it is shown highlighted in the graphs at bottom left as you can see. The information at top right shows how the signal strength of the highlighted hotspot varies over time, it also shows you how many other hotspots share this channel and how many overlapping channels there are.

In an ideal world you want a channel with 0 co-channel users and 0 overlapping channels. It'snot going to happen sadly. So you have to pick the least busy channel (lowest co-channel) and least overlapping channels. You also want to have your signal strength considerably higher than an co-channel or overlapping channels. Move your router channel to the best channel in your area.

Last edited:

LiteonMU

This is what i see Captura de pantalla (36).png. i think my channel is not busy right?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
This is what i seeView attachment 7062. i think my channel is not busy right?

No it's not! Are you living on an island or in the middle of nowhere by any chance? :)

So it's not channel congestion or overlap then. It's possibly the building, download a WiFi analyser for your phone and survey the building, see whether there are dead spots or poor reception areas.

How well does it work when your phone is right next to the router?

LiteonMU

Oh i think i might not have explained myself well. The probolem is not that the games dont load cuz of bad wifi, i think is something on the router not leting them through. i can watch youtube videos and they charge pretty fast, so the speed is ok its just that it wont let me log onto online games.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Oh i think i might not have explained myself well. The probolem is not that the games dont load cuz of bad wifi, i think is something on the router not leting them through. i can watch youtube videos and they charge pretty fast, so the speed is ok its just that it wont let me log onto online games.

Ahh. Are you now using a different ISP then? Are you on a different Internet access plan? I suggest you contact your ISP and see whether they are blocking the games. If you've made no changes to your router and it was all working at your old house then it's not likely to be a router issue.

LiteonMU

well its not the same router and company. The proble is that i tried to contact the company but they dont seem to ansqer support emails so i am kind of desperate now :surrender:. I will have to call them tho cuz nothing that i do is working :(

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
well its not the same router and company. The proble is that i tried to contact the company but they dont seem to ansqer support emails so i am kind of desperate now :surrender:. I will have to call them tho cuz nothing that i do is working :(

You're always better off using your own router especially when it comes to gaming, I'd go out and buy your own for instance, an Asus router (all excellent).

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

You're always better off using your own router especially when it comes to gaming, I'd go out and buy your own for instance, an Asus router (all excellent).

Indeed, I imagined you already had your own router and had taken it with you. I'd agree that getting a decent router would be a good start but I'd also pester your new ISP.