Computer randomly freezes

So lately my computer started to act up weird and here's the list of them:

• My computer immediately shuts down or restarts randomly when playing games / rendering
  • All system information applications except CPU-Z are telling me that I'm missing two sticks of ram (even when they are there)
  • Sometimes my mouse freezes and becomes unresponsive, then screen freezes and you can hear electrical cacophony from the speakers

6a31beedc3.png

PC Info:

• Intel Core 5960X (Never overclocked)
  • 64 GB of DDR4 Ram
  • Nvidia GTX 670
  • Windows 10 as my operating system

Either it's a problem with Nvidia's drivers and Windows 10 or a serious issue with my motherboard, GPU or CPU (hopefully not it).

In addition, 1 year of parts warranty ran out since I ordered my computer on the 03/09/2014 so I'll be damned if I have to pay an extra £1000 for a brand new CPU.

Last edited:

Spuff

Expert
Going by the reporting of your RAM I am thinking that when I installed 2 extra sticks of RAM my PC wouldn't boot because one of them wasn't fully seated. My first thought would be to check all you RAM is fully in, if any seem not completely level with the lowest ones then they are not all fully seated. It could possibly be that one of your RAM sticks is on the cusp of being properly in, or that one or more of them has gone dodgy.

Last edited:
Going by the reporting of your RAM I am thinking that when I installed 2 extra sticks RAM my PC wouldn't boot because one of them wasn't fully seated. My first thought would be to check all you RAM is fully in, if any seem not level with the lowest ones then they are not all fully seated. It could possibly be that one of your RAM sticks is on the cusp of being properly in, or that one of them has gone dodgy.

Actually I've tested it and it seems that C1 and C2 slots are both not working?
The method that I've used was to test each ram stick individually then test 2 ram sticks in every sector (A,B,C,D)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I upgraded my computer to Windows 10.

Was it working ok before the upgrade? Driver availability/suitability for Windows 10 on some hardware is less than ideal at the moment. Downgrading might be a better bet for a month or three to see how Windows 10 pans out?

I had a struggle upgrading and getting everything to work properly too (on an Optimus IV laptop). In the end (following advice on here) I allowed Windows Update to install all drivers except the chipset driver (I used the Windows 8.1 chipset driver because there isn't a Windows 10 driver for my chipset). That worked, whereas installing drivers manually did not. You might try that?

Was it working ok before the upgrade? Driver availability/suitability for Windows 10 on some hardware is less than ideal at the moment. Downgrading might be a better bet for a month or three to see how Windows 10 pans out?

I had a struggle upgrading and getting everything to work properly too (on an Optimus IV laptop). In the end (following advice on here) I allowed Windows Update to install all drivers except the chipset driver (I used the Windows 8.1 chipset driver because there isn't a Windows 10 driver for my chipset). That worked, whereas installing drivers manually did not. You might try that?

Well, the unusual thing is that crashes started after upgrading to windows 10 but the issue with ram slot C1 and C2 appeared to start well before upgrading to Windows 10.

Some motherboards can have issues with different slots

So what do you suggest I do?
My motherboard is X99-Deluxe?

I found something similar: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1831922&page=12
also this: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18620682&page=10

The latest one is the tale of the randomly disappearing memory stick. BIOS will only show 3 of 4 sticks on the front page, yet the SPD utility can see 4 sticks installed. I've had to bump System Agent/VCCSA voltage to 1.15 to get it (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...=8&subcat=2557) reliably working at stock.
So I bought a deluxe on the 14th of Oct last year and since then i've ran into 2 issues.
Currently on 1203 bios and since 904, 1004, 1103 and 1203 the DIMM_C1/C2 have never been detecting any ram, irrigardless of cpu sitting, tried many times to see if that was the issue and it wasn't.

Could it be possible that my ram isn't receiving enough power?

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So what do you suggest I do?
My motherboard is X99-Deluxe?

I found something similar: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1831922&page=12
also this: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18620682&page=10

Could it be possible that my ram isn't receiving enough power?

I suggest you do a clean reinstall of Windows 8.1, all the latest drivers, and all the Windows updates (except driver updates from Windows udate) and see whether it freezes then. That will eliminate hardware and what's left will be WIndows 10. It's unwise IMO to try to troubleshoot a new computer using Windows 10, it's not fully stable itself yet.

If it freezes with Windows 8.1, all drivers and all updates (except driver updates from Windows update) then it's most likely hardware and you'll need to call PCS. If it works fine with Windows 8.1 then you have a Windows 10 issue, most likely driver related (as most Windows 10 issues seem to be).

If your RAM power question is related to the Event Log messages you posted in your first post I'd stop worrying. Those Kernel Power messages are not reporting power problems, they're simply reporting unexpected shutdowns (probably after you forced a shutdown after the freeze). They are not telling you about power supply problems.