Minecraft: connection timed out

Al.Neri

Super Star
I know there is a thread for minecraft, and I have posted for help there, but no one seems to want to respond.

I'm getting towards the end of my patience right now, no matter where I post for help, no one responds. I asked slein earlier for help, nothing he mentioned really helped the sitation though.

I've been getting this error for the last 3 days now, I can't join a single game online because of the connection repeatedly timing out.

I have asked for help on the minecraft support forums, and absolutely no one has so much as offered any suggestions.

I don't have a router, my pc is connected directly to the modem. I have eset smart security 4 installed, but that has never caused me any problems and I have not made any changes.

does ANYONE have any ideas why this is happening, and how I can solve it?

Al.Neri

Super Star
not really, I don't have a router.

I'm seriously considering just reinstalling windows, maybe I can kill the problem with windows movie maker at the same time.

pengipete

Rising Star
You've lost me. As far as I could see, he was changing settings that any modem should have. (When we talk about "routers", we're usually refering to a combined modem and router - the router part is really only for distributing multiple connection on the home-network)

Al.Neri

Super Star
I have no settings for my modem that he had there.

furthermore, it seemed to me that what he was doing, was trying to help people who run servers trying to stop others from timing out, not helping individuals. I went to the site he listed, and my modem is not listed on there anyway

pengipete

Rising Star
MineCraft is currently being moved to new servers so it's possible that there is a temporary problem at their end.

Apart from that...

I found several threads - going back years in some cases - where people reported the same problem with that same modem. What I couldn't find was a common solution. I did, however, find this - http://getsatisfaction.com/mojang/t...nect_overflow_after_few_seconds_on_the_server

Just below the graphic in the top post is a link to a Java app and I read a few posts on different forums where people say that this app worked for them. I have no knowledge of this app or its author so check it for malware and - if possible - do some homework on the app and author. Make sure to set a Restore Point before running the app - just in case.

>>>I just tried that download link and it's dead. There's an alternative download at http://www.easy-share.com/1914176159/tcpbufferv5.jar - scroll to the bottom of the page to get the free download link. I downloaded and check the file - it scans clean in Norton and looks to be very simple to use though I've no way of knowing if it works as I don't play games.

pengipete

Rising Star
It's not my file to upload and even if it was I don't have it - I only downloaded it to check it was safe and immediately deleted it.

I notice that some calling themself Ngee Bing and DrinkingKopi has been posting this same request - pretty well word for word - across various forums in the last few hours including the forum where the creator of the app originally posted it (and was still posting as recently as 20 days ago) so there's a good chance it will resurface soon.