thunderbolt 2 to 3

His is it possible to connect the two thunderbolt 2 ports on the defiance (if they are thunderbolt ports) and turn them into thunderbolt 3 ports? I know that thunderbolt 3 is new and so any dongles probably aren't available to buy, but does this sound like something that might happen? Or is it a ridiculous idea as most computers only have one thunderbolt 2 port, if any. If anyone has any ideas they would be appreciated, thanks.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thunderbolt 3 is a different connector, you'd need to physically change the ports in on the motherboard to support thunderbolt 3. Combining two ports doesn't equal version 3.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sorry if I didn't say, but I meant with a dongle that plugs into the thunderbolt 2 ports and turns them into a thunderbolt 3 port.

Not possible. The physical thunderbolt 2 ports can only accept a maximum data stream speed which is limited by hardware. There's no way of upgrading them without replacing the port.

Yeah but each thunderbolt 2 can carry 20 Gigabits per second, but one thunderbolt 3 can carry 40 gigabits per second so if the dongle used both thunderbolt 2 ports then it would carry 40 gigabits per second,wouldn't it?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah but each thunderbolt 2 can carry 20 Gigabits per second, but one thunderbolt 3 can carry 40 gigabits per second so if the dongle used both thunderbolt 2 ports then it would carry 40 gigabits per second,wouldn't it?

I get where you're coming from, but no, there aren't currently any adapters that would do that.

The defiance doesn't have thunderbolt anyway afaik, only the Octane.