Virtual box not working

Hi, first of virtual box only has 32bit os options which I'm pretty sure is wrong and second when I set up a 32bit Ubuntu installation I cant connect to it and am told vt-x isn't available. Given as all of the Intel I series has this feature and I have an i7 I should most definitely have vt-x!!! Given as this means virtual box won't actually work can some one please help me sort this issue as its a pretty big one!!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
First off lets check your CPU capability. Download and install CPU-Z from http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html (it's free). Run that and paste the CPU window details here. If you want to check you should see VT-x listed in the list of Instructions about halfway down the CPU window.

Regarding the 64-bit issue, do you have a 64-bit version of Windows installed? How much RAM do you have installed? Is VirtualBox installed as a 64-bit application?

I have 64bit windows with 16GB of ram, I read the other day that all I series cores have the feature and i have been using hyper v the windows virtual machine and that works. Though I can't get to my computer to check until tomorrow.

mishra

Rising Star
Can you check in BIOS if Virtualization options are enabled? (The whole VT-x, VT-d, etc... anything to do wit virtualization support.)
Also some people say that previously using other virtualization software (like Hyper-V in your case could have something do to with it - you can try disabling "Hyper-V platform" in Windows Feature list, restart and try again).

edit: This post explain this (also involve quirk of Window 10) : http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2014/11/virtualbox-showing-32-bit-guest-versions-64-bit-host-os/

Last edited:
I cant install the integration services, it says
Could not mount the media/drive 'D:\VirtualBox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED).

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Callee:
IMachine {f30138d4-e5ea-4b3a-8858-a059de4c93fd}

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I cant install the integration services, it says
Could not mount the media/drive 'D:\VirtualBox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED).

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Callee:
IMachine {f30138d4-e5ea-4b3a-8858-a059de4c93fd}

So are you now saying that VirtualBox is installed but you're having problems installing the guest additions into a guest OS you are running under VirtualBox? Have you installed the appropriate extension pack into VirtualBox?

No I haven't installed the guest additions to virtual box, I was following a guide that just said to open the vm and click the install guest additions button. Do I get the guest additions from the virtual box site?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
No I haven't installed the guest additions to virtual box, I was following a guide that just said to open the vm and click the install guest additions button. Do I get the guest additions from the virtual box site?

No, guest additions is part of Virtual Box, but you should install the extension pack which you can get from the Virtual Box website. The extension pack adds support for USB2/3 amongst other things. You will want it eventually.

You should install the guest additions by booting the guest OS and then install the guest additions from there. It's usually just a case of executing the virtual CD that the guest additions software is on. The guest additions is not critical to the operation of a guest OS it simply allows you to auto-capture the mouse and auto switch the focus amongst other things.

I think I have done it. The only problem I have found is when I press the seamless mode the window disappears and there is no task bar or anything and i just have the windows desktop. Is this just because I am doing it wrong?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I think I have done it. The only problem I have found is when I press the seamless mode the window disappears and there is no task bar or anything and i just have the windows desktop. Is this just because I am doing it wrong?

That's intended. Near the centre of the bottom of the screen should be a small icon of three horizontal bars, if you hover over that the VirtualBox menu bar pops up. Ctrl+H should switch back.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ok ill try that tonight

Correction. The previous was from memory, I'd not installed VirtualBox since I upgraded to Windows 10. So....I've just installed VirtualBox, mounted a Linux Mint image and booted it to check this out for you. In seamless mode there is a single solid bar at the bottom of the screen which will bring up the VirtualBox menu when you hover over it. Pressing Right-Ctrl+Home always brings up the VirtualBox menu whatever mode you're in.

Note that, in seamless mode you won't see anything at all unless there are windows open on the guest system. So just after I boot the Linux Mint guest entering seamless mode just displays the Windows desktop. Opening applications in Linux Mint and then entering seamless mode does what it says on the tin; you get the guest OS (Linux Mint in my case) windows alongside the Windows 10 windows on the same desktop.

Hope that helps. :)