PC will not boot up properly

mikep0d

Hi there,

First time posting here so any help would be greatly appreciated.

My PC will not boot up without receiving the error message 'reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key'

I have tried to start my PC in safe mode but is not allowing me to, it just ask which boot priority I want to start my PC up with and I obviously choose my Seagate 1000mb desktop HDD.

This hdd is allocated port 0 (P0). The other ports are port 1 - Samsung external hard drive and port 2 is my CD drive.

I am using Windows 7.

I hope this makes sense and someone would hopefully point me in the right direction to fixing this problem. I have essays to write and no PC to write them on :(

Thank you to anyone that can help.

If you need any additional information feel free to ask.

Thanks again,
Mike

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi there,

First time posting here so any help would be greatly appreciated.

My PC will not boot up without receiving the error message 'reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key'

I have tried to start my PC in safe mode but is not allowing me to, it just ask which boot priority I want to start my PC up with and I obviously choose my Seagate 1000mb desktop HDD.

This hdd is allocated port 0 (P0). The other ports are port 1 - Samsung external hard drive and port 2 is my CD drive.

I am using Windows 7.

I hope this makes sense and someone would hopefully point me in the right direction to fixing this problem. I have essays to write and no PC to write them on :(

Thank you to anyone that can help.

If you need any additional information feel free to ask.

Thanks again,
Mike

Try disconnecting your external hdd when booting.

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Unfortunately it still produces the same error message ;(

Try opening the case up and switching the sata port on the motherboard that the hard drive is plugged into. It sounds as though there is a problem with the drive but it equally can be a sata port on the motherboard/ or just a lose connection if the case has been moved or knocked. Check the connections to and from the hard drive. Sometimes bios recognises it but if the plug isnt fully home it will cause problems. If switching the sata port does not do anything then you need to start thinking about the drive having failed.

If you have the windows DVD you can try putting that in the dvd drive and selecting the dvd drive as the first boot device just to see if the motherboard ports have suddenly broken (or deteriorated like on my Asus P6P67 motherboard). If it detects the dvd etc and gives you options from there, then you are still going to be looking at a new hard drive; but make sure you try several ports and eventually you will narrow the problem down. Can just do this with the side of the case off. Not a lot you can do if the machine wont even boot with the drive in unfortunately; if this is where the os is.

mikep0d

Tried a few of these suggestions to no avail! For now I have handed it over to a friend who works in IT and will have a look for me. Cheers for the help guys! Much appreciated!

mikep0d

So basically the hard drive was not being recognised so unfortunately it is well and truly broken. Have to send it off to Samsung now and see what they will do about it. Had a 5 year warranty and only had it since May. So god knows what's happened to it!