Lafite II & Ubuntu

aydun

Just got my Lafite II i7-6500

Ubuntu 15.04 doesn't support the 8260 wireless card (yet), so I'm trying a pre-release version of Ubuntu 15.10 - the final release is due out in a few days so it's unlikely to change much.

The good news is that everything I've tried so far just works:
- booting / screen / display / keyboard
- wireless
- touchpad (pointer, left, right, 2-finger scroll)
- webcam & audio
- suspend/resume
- function keys for suspend, wireless on/off, volume mute/up/down, brightness up/down, screen blank, browser page, keyboard backlight off/low/high, bluetooth on/off, touchpad on/off

I've not tried hdmi or sd card yet

First impressions are very good. Occasionally the trackpad seems imprecise but it may just take a little getting used to.

Minor niggles: the hard disk (500GB SATA III 7200rpm) is a bit noisy when its working, but nothing bad. And the i7 sticker isn't stuck on straight!

It is an HD display but only 13" so at full defaults things are small. For me, going to Ubuntu's Screen Display panel and setting the "Scale for menu & title bars" to 1.25 works well.

Stephen M

Author Level
How is the backlit keyboard, any problems changing that? I don't worry as mine is stuck on a relaxing shade of blue but would be interesting to know how it goes on the Lafitte. I shall find out about 15.10 in a few days.

rossbeazley

Bronze Level Poster
aydun, is your suspend to ram working correctly?

im using debian 8 and its not resuming correctly, display remains blank but the system is running...

Stephen M

Author Level
Cheers. I have tried this on another machine with an older Ubuntu and it did not work but I will give it a go on the newer laptop but probably wait a couple of days and see what Wily Werewolf brings.

asimong

The touchpad... everything works fine enough with Ubuntu 16.04, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to disable the touchpad while typing. It is really annoying!

Can anyone help? I've seen various suggestions on forums elsewhere, but they do look complex.

peyu

Stephen M : Fn-F10 cycles through the backlight being off, dim white or bright white. I've not found a way to control the colours but this looks promising: http://askubuntu.com/questions/1845...lti-colored-backlit-keyboard-on-clevo-laptops

rozzbeazley: yep, suspend to ram is fine both with Fn-Esc and as Suspend from the gear menu

Hi aydun, did you change the colour of the backlight keyboard at the end ? I just bought the lafite II and installed ubuntu 17.10, everything works fine, but the keyboard backlight is always on when I turn on the computer, and I wonder if it's possible to set it to off at startup... Any ideas ? Thanks.

aydun

Digging up an old thread! 3 years later and it's doing well although I still haven't found a use for the USB-C 3.1 port!

OldLady

Digging up an old thread! 3 years later and it's doing well although I still haven't found a use for the USB-C 3.1 port!

I haven't placed an order yet, but I agree. I've searched on Amazon UK for a converter or adapter and there are many to choose from, but, for a complete nincompoop like me, what exactly am I looking for: male female etc etc! You mention "USB-C 3.1 port" whereas mine is "USB 3.0 PORT (Type C)". I've been restricting my criteria to just generic "Type C" because I haven't a clue. :)

I've looked for an adapter in the PCS configurator, accessories section but it's not listed. That would be ideal because I'd know for certain it would be compatible but - best of all - that it had gone through their quality testing and I wouldn't have to worry about some of the scary Amazon reviews, such as burning plastic - scary.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
USB 3.0 = USB 3.1 Gen 1 (upto 5gbps). USB 3.1 Gen 2 is upto 10gbps.

For the purposes of the ports you find on laptops and desktops, these (Gen 1 and Gen 2) can be either Type A (the classic USB port shape you'll be familiar with) or type C, which is newer and smaller.

USB type C is popular on tablets where it can both charge the device and transfer data, eliminating the need for a separate port to plug in a charger. However, don't expect to be able to charge most laptops via USB type C.

If a USB port on a laptop is sold as USB 3.1 I usually assume this means Gen 1 (i.e. USB 3.0) because if it was Gen 2 they would probably mention it as a selling point. But the only way to know would be to contact PCS and ask.

See this for a bit fuller and clearer explanation: https://www.msi.com/blog/usb-3-1-gen1-gen2-explained

If you need an adapter to plug in, say, a USB stick with a traditional USB type A connector into a USB 3.1 (aka USB 3.0) Type C port on a laptop, any old adapter cable should do afaik. e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01COOQIKU

Last edited:

OldLady

USB 3.0 = USB 3.1 Gen 1 (upto 5gbps). USB 3.1 Gen 2 is upto 10gbps.

In a nutshell - perfect. :)

My heart sank a little when I saw your msi link, thinking I'd better read but I won't understand it. However it was an easy article to read - thank you. I also liked the reader comment "Look for SS next to your USB connection. That is the USB 3.1 Gen 2."

Even better than all that was your Amazon link. Even though the female to female stuff stretched my brain, I had saved that link a couple of weeks ago because the image looked right and it had the best - consistently good - reviews. At a very reasonable cost I thought it wouldn't make me cry if it was not the correct cable.

So I'm really grateful; thank you - again. :)