Speed needed i7-6700K (15.6" Octane II) vs i7-6820HK (15.6" Defiance II)

Inti123

Hi All,

I work with large datasets (~million of observations and several variables). I use statistical methods that are very demanding of computational resources. A desktop is not an option because I need to be able to move.

The most powerful laptops to my understanding are the Octane II and Defiance II (the 15.6" is just a personal choice).

I wonder which processor fits best my need for speed, a i7-6700K (15.6" Octane II) or a i7-6820HK (15.6" Defiance II)?
Considering that I will have to wait for the i7-6700K to be available.

The rest of the specs for any of them
- 32GB HyperX IMPACT 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (4 x 8GB)
- 480GB HyperX SAVAGE SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
- 500GB WD BLACK 2.5" WD5000LPLX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
- ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (<--Is this one good enough for the i7-6700K cooling issues?)

Any thoughts are welcome.

Stephen M

Author Level
The Octane has the more powerful CPU and that seems to be what you need, it also has the advantage that it will take the 750 WD Black, the Defiance fast (7200rpm) HDD is the SATA with a maximum of 500GB. The Arctic paste is good but I would have a cooling tray as well. I cannot compare temperatures with mine a I have the older (i7 4790) Octane and the Skylake should be a bit cooler but it is a machine that will run hot, especially with the K, it is more a desktop replacement than a laptop. I really like mine but it is bulky and heavy, the model you are looking at is 3.4kg without the battery.
If you want a look at the fan and cooling set up, theis review has some good pics, it is the older version but there will not have been major change: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Schenker-XMG-U505-Clevo-P751ZM-Notebook-Review.134638.0.html

Inti123

Thanks a lot Stephen. It seems that the Octane is the one to go. Thanks for the link too, it is very useful.