Anyone have opinions of dashcams?

Frank100

Rising Star
Hi,

I recently changed both the family cars and was searching for the best insurance quotes possible. As I was speaking to the sales advisers on the phone a number of them asked if I had a dashcam. It's one piece of technology I haven't even handled let alone owned. I asked how much of a price difference having a dashcam could make and the responses were quite varied but even for my mid range cars it could be up to £50 off my annual premium per car.

There are some half decent dashcams out on the market for about £40-50 (or at least the reviews seem positive and the specs look OK). I wondered if anyone uses a dashcam, whether they recommend a minimum price range or even have suggested recommended makes/models.

Whilst the cam would nullify this year's premiums I might start to make a few £ back next year and it would offer peace of mind in other regards.

Thanks in advance,

Frank100

soul1

Hi Frank100 nice to meet you. I nearly bought a dash cam from Halfords last year. I ordered the dash cam online and arranged to pick it up at my local Halfords store. Having arrived to pick it up I thought I would ask a few questions just to make sure I was buying it for the right reasons. The staff member that I spoke to was very helpful. However from what he told me, the dashcam was not right for me. Here's why. Firstly I was told that it's a big risk leaving the dashcam in when the car is unattended as it's most likely to get stolen. Secondly dashcams are not in car CCTV. They are not designed to keep your car safe when your car is unattended. Their purpose is to record any potential accidents that might happen while you are driving. That's what I got told. The final thing that put me off is that the dashcam would need to be professionally fitted to hide the wires and if you sell your car then it would need to be professionally uninstalled. In the end I did not end up buying it. Hope this helps :)

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
I use an old gopro. Charge it up each day and just turn it on when I drive anywhere stuck to windscreen. Wipe memory card each day as so far, tough wood, all footage is completely uneventful. Don't leave it in car. No wires unless you want to charge while driving. Depends how much driving you do per journey I suppose too.

I use an old gopro. Charge it up each day and just turn it on when I drive anywhere stuck to windscreen. Wipe memory card each day as so far, tough wood, all footage is completely uneventful. Don't leave it in car. No wires unless you want to charge while driving. Depends how much driving you do per journey I suppose too.

Does the gopro get hot? I've read about people using them as dash cams and them overheating running for long periods.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I have a dashcam.

It's even stayed in the car in the middle of Birmingham overnight in public carparks with no issues. To be honest though, it's tucked up behind the mirror for the most part so not that visible.

Running the cables was trivial - honestly! You may benefit from a spoon but you can simply tuck the cable into the headliner, down the door panel and under / behind the glove compartment. Neat and tidy.

One aspect of them I didn't appreciate would happen is it calmed my own driving down no end - when you have something in full HD that also records your speed then you do tend to think twice about how you drive.

Some insurance companies offer a discount if you have one, too.

It also stays alive when the ignition is off and will trigger if the G-sensor (shock sensor) detects impact.

All in all, I wouldn't now be without it. I could post numerous videos of complete thunderknuckles terrible driving from the footage I have.

This one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00U701N6I

Also bought my old man one.

Turned off the lane and distance facilities though - when you do as much motorway driving as I do, it gets tedious when it beeps every time someone pulls out or in in front of you or every time you change lanes.

That looks more of a high end dash cam. Is it worth the extra cost? I'm really tempted because it would be cool to record all those things you see driving that people doubt you about when you tell them!

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Well I bought two of 'em - one for my old man and myself. I got my wife a very similar one because the above ones were out of stock. Hers actually has audible camera alerts.

Are they worth it?

Yes, in my opinion. I had an el cheapo one I picked up from some shop.

Forget it recording in the dark. It was hit and miss if it would even start at times. It was (compared to the above one) big, ugly and bulky.

I wouldn't be without mine now. I've caught so many near misses and if they had turned out worse, I'd have had the absolute proof of blame.

The quality of the recordings is fantastic and they stamp your GPS co-ordinates, time, heading and speed on the recording - hence why I say my own driving has improved.

fermac

i grabbed a transcend 200 for around £90 its more than enough for whats needed in the work van. i use a gopro for the bike which is a bit over priced for a dash cam imho

turbocool

Sods law says the day you need footage you would have forgotton to charge/hit record on it.

I don't have a dashcam myself, if I was to get one I'd get a purpose built on, tube shape that fits neatly behind the wing mirror. Which is wired into the car so the car sends a charge with the ignition on, and the dashcam starts recording from power on.

it's possible to get power there by spurring a wire from the fuse box (usually on the side of the dashboard (driver or passenger) and run the wire behind the a pillar and roof lining.

Theft is an issue. I drive an old car so I dont think it will ever get broken into. I'd get one that's tubular and spray it ugly to match the beige back of the wing mirror.