Tritton vs Turtle Beach Headsets

Shane727

Hey, just wondering which headset you think is better in terms of comfortability, durability and sound. I'm looking to get a wireless one and the turtle beach px4 and the tritton kunai look pretty good but I'm not sure which one. If you had any other suggestions that would be great too. Thanks

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I had the PX5s. They were ok but looking back they were not good value for money. Personally I think the HyperX Cloud headsets are best bang for buck. My set are excellent!

mishra

Rising Star
In short any "gaming headset" is poor in sound quality in comparison to proper headphones (obviously I do not talk here about the dr. beats stuff - as that is just overpriced marketing gimmick that should be eradicated from the face of the earth). Anyhow back to topic, I know headset is giving you a built in microphone, where normal headphones do not. In my opinion it is still better to buy normal headphones and use additional microphone. Not only sound quality will be better, most likely comfort will be better too, but on top of that it's going to be more flexible. You can take headphones with you when you are travelling and still enjoy nice sound without the "pilot helmet thing".

I suspect each to their own, but I would recommend looking at some mid range headphones like:
- Sennheiser Hd-380 Pro or HD-558
- Audio Technica M50x (that's what I have and I use them for everything on a daily basis - sound quality is amazing, so is the comfort - tho they can make your ears warm after several hours of non stop playing)
- Grado SR60i

Also avoid any 7-in-1 , 3D sound marketed headset too. They usually use poor quality drivers which are super tiny, and simply do not deliver. Human beings have 2 ears and stereo sound is more than adequate to emulate 3D environment there is no need for such gimmick on headphones/headset. (go on Youtube and check for "virtual barber shop" with any cheap ass stereo headphones - they will deliver perfect 3D sound regardless).
Use stereo headphones but make sure you set stereo output inside your game settings - it will simply blow your mind away :)

Unless having a built in microphone is an absolute must have.. I would re-think your options. Once you get yourself decent pair of headphones it is very hard to go back to anything inferior.

Shane727

Actually, it's not very often that I use the microphone, it's kind of obsolete. If done a bit of research on those and the sennheiser seems the best fit for me in terms of bang for back. Thanks the help, much appreciated :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
In short any "gaming headset" is poor in sound quality in comparison to proper headphones (obviously I do not talk here about the dr. beats stuff - as that is just overpriced marketing gimmick that should be eradicated from the face of the earth). Anyhow back to topic, I know headset is giving you a built in microphone, where normal headphones do not. In my opinion it is still better to buy normal headphones and use additional microphone. Not only sound quality will be better, most likely comfort will be better too, but on top of that it's going to be more flexible. You can take headphones with you when you are travelling and still enjoy nice sound without the "pilot helmet thing".

I suspect each to their own, but I would recommend looking at some mid range headphones like:
- Sennheiser Hd-380 Pro or HD-558
- Audio Technica M50x (that's what I have and I use them for everything on a daily basis - sound quality is amazing, so is the comfort - tho they can make your ears warm after several hours of non stop playing)
- Grado SR60i

Also avoid any 7-in-1 , 3D sound marketed headset too. They usually use poor quality drivers which are super tiny, and simply do not deliver. Human beings have 2 ears and stereo sound is more than adequate to emulate 3D environment there is no need for such gimmick on headphones/headset. (go on Youtube and check for "virtual barber shop" with any cheap ass stereo headphones - they will deliver perfect 3D sound regardless).
Use stereo headphones but make sure you set stereo output inside your game settings - it will simply blow your mind away :)

Unless having a built in microphone is an absolute must have.. I would re-think your options. Once you get yourself decent pair of headphones it is very hard to go back to anything inferior.

Think you underestimate some gaming headsets. The HyperX ones truly are amazing for their price. I don't think you'd find a regular headset with its quality. You can get them for £50.

mishra

Rising Star
I guess, some gaming headsets may actually be good, there are good and bad products on both sides! I'm not familiar with the HyperX product so it's hard to compare. I only have some cheap (but not terribly bad Plantronics gaming headset) and even though sound quality is poor, these are really comfortable overall!
I suspect everyone have a slightly different "hearing" and some people will like some products over the others. A good idea is to go to local music and/or computer shop and try some products out, then make a decision.

To get a decent headphones for £50 is really tricky, I can think of maybe: Sennheiser HD 202/203 or Superlux HD681, something along these lines, but stretching budget a bit more can get you a much better headphones overall.
Unfortunately, I am not familiar with gaming headsets, did check few in the shop some time ago, but was not perfectly satisfied (tho, I was skewed towards headphones at a time and that have influenced my opinion most likely).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I guess, some gaming headsets may actually be good, there are good and bad products on both sides! I'm not familiar with the HyperX product so it's hard to compare. I only have some cheap (but not terribly bad Plantronics gaming headset) and even though sound quality is poor, these are really comfortable overall!
I suspect everyone have a slightly different "hearing" and some people will like some products over the others. A good idea is to go to local music and/or computer shop and try some products out, then make a decision.

To get a decent headphones for £50 is really tricky, I can think of maybe: Sennheiser HD 202/203 or Superlux HD681, something along these lines, but stretching budget a bit more can get you a much better headphones overall.
Unfortunately, I am not familiar with gaming headsets, did check few in the shop some time ago, but was not perfectly satisfied (tho, I was skewed towards headphones at a time and that have influenced my opinion most likely).

There's a big difference between gaming headsets and audio headsets.

Gaming headsets are bass heavy, fully equalisable, effects driven.

Audio headsets are hopefully trying to reproduce accurate frequencies which is a much more precise aim and therefor requires much more work and cost.

Gaming headsets just shove in the biggest drivers they can find, usually dynamic so you get every bump and footstep produced equally over the top. I have the Roccat Kave XTD 5.1's which have true 5.1 surround with separate drivers and woofers, got them for around £100, what I'm paying for here is the individual drivers and sub over synthesized surround that you'll find in most gaming headsets. They're awesome for gaming, I mean absolutely superb, the surround stage is fantastic and you can hear everything around you. Especially for horror games, they really give a whole new level to the game.

I've had some synthesized headsets in the past such as the Logitech G35's which were superb also and I managed to pick up for around £70 on an amazon sale, but I do notice the difference between them and the roccat's. But I think the point is that synthesized surround is still incredibly effective these days, and most of them run between £30 and £100. I've also heard very good things about the Hyper-X's.

daveeb

Enthusiast
My son has got through multiple Tritton headsets in under a year 1 He doesn't abuse them, but they do get heavy useage and just stop working, so i definitely can't recommend these for long term use. He's just trying Turtle Beach now.

On a side note what is the difference between "wireless" and "wired" headsets (Xbox one). As far as i can see they all connect via a short cable to the controller which communicates wirelessley with the Xbox one console. ???

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
My son has got through multiple Tritton headsets in under a year 1 He doesn't abuse them, but they do get heavy useage and just stop working, so i definitely can't recommend these for long term use. He's just trying Turtle Beach now.

On a side note what is the difference between "wireless" and "wired" headsets (Xbox one). As far as i can see they all connect via a short cable to the controller which communicates wirelessley with the Xbox one console. ???

The connection to the controller on Xbox is for voice communication. It was originally designed so that you could wear one of their one speaker headphones/mic whilst having the game sounds playing through the TV/speakers.