PSU noise - shouldi replace/return

Hi

My PSU - CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY has started making a crappy grinding/whirring noise for no discernible reason this week. The first time i heard the noise I took the side off to investigate and a quick tap on the PSU stopped it, but of course it starts up again as soon as I replace the side of the case...

Is there anything I can do myself to fix this? I'd rather not go through the hassle of returning the entire build for a fresh PSU even though it's still in warranty

Thanks

jerpers

Master
If you can, have a good look to see if anything is obscuring the fan. Could be a wire or a sticker coming loose. Otherwise it could be a bearing which would he a RMA.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
If you can double checks its coming from the actual PSU itself and not another panel on the case vibrating (as can sometimes happen) then that's about all it could be that you can fix yourself.

Sounds like it might be the bearing on the fan that's on the way out.

Just called and spoke to someone and they are couriering me a replacement for a swap over at work. just need to hope im capable of removing and refitting :)

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Just called and spoke to someone and they are couriering me a replacement for a swap over at work. just need to hope im capable of removing and refitting :)

PICTURES, before you do anything take twice as many pictures as you think you will need. Its fairly straightforward but if you miss a connector then your system may not boot at all.