Power State Failure

Macecraft

Hi, I just recieved my Optimus VII today and after installing software and moving files I got a BSOD which has occured roughly about 4 times now.

In the message it says 'DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE'. I've updated the drivers I thought were responsible and looked around for any other drivers that might be the problem but I have no idea. Anyone got any clue?

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi, I just recieved my Optimus VII today and after installing software and moving files I got a BSOD which has occured roughly about 4 times now.

In the message it says 'DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE'. I've updated the drivers I thought were responsible and looked around for any other drivers that might be the problem but I have no idea. Anyone got any clue?

You're correct that this points to a driver being out of date.

Can you list the drivers you've updated and we'll try updating the rest.

Macecraft

Hi Spyder,

As far as I know the one's I've updated were:

-nVidia GeForce GTX 960M
-Intel(R) HD Graphics 530
-Intel(R) Wireless-N 7265
-Realtek Digital Output

I did search for updates on other drivers, but most were already updated or Windows couldn't find an update(via Windows driver updates). I've tried uninstalling the nVidia update (in safe mode) and re-installing the most recent ones. I can provide .dmp files from the BSOD if it's required.

Thanks.

lorgyo

Same problem here received 3 days ago. Almost always happens when i alt + tab from a game and trying to return..sometimes even without any action
Updated the Graphics driver with clean install but with no success. Still trial OS but i dont think it would affect the problem by any means.

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Same problem here received 3 days ago. Almost always happens when i alt + tab from a game and trying to return..sometimes even without any action
Updated the Graphics driver with clean install but with no success. Still trial OS but i dont think it would affect the problem by any means.

This alt tab problem is looking at the moment like (assuming you have the same issue) a combination of the most recent Optimus drivers from Nvidia and/or the latest update for Windows 10; or at least this appears to be a possibility judging by the number of people on forums with this same issue (when alt tabbing). I would not have thought it would cause "Power state failure" related errors; so this may be something different. Just a possible solution for the alt tab issue. Try to use some older legacy Nvidia drivers and see if they display the same symptoms and post back.

There is something certainly weird with the latest Nvidia drivers for laptops, and the relationship with Windows 10 after the latest massive update. 870m displayed no symptoms at all running games such as GW2; now suddenly after update there is almost artifact type texture corruption in Guild Wars 2 on certain objects, and it will not run the game at all without the game minimising to desktop and on clicking the (still active icon) it gets the texture corruption etc unless it is put in "Windows 7 compatibility mode" where it runs fine. Tried everything to find out what was doing this, thought the card was faulty; but after Windows reinstallation, game reinstallation, several driver cleans and reinstalls of both intel and Nvidia drivers it occurs in one game only. So something somewhere has been changed. The card was benchmarked in several tests, and runs every other game absolutely fine. This occurs on every Nvidia Optimus driver for this one game. Very odd.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

If by trial OS you mean you're running the copy of Windows that PCS installed for testing purposes there is no guarantee that it's a complete nor clean installation. If this is the case I'd strongly suggest you do a clean install of your own copy of Windows to be sure you have a good, complete, and clean OS.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If by trial OS you mean you're running the copy of Windows that PCS installed for testing purposes there is no guarantee that it's a complete nor clean installation. If this is the case I'd strongly suggest you do a clean install of your own copy of Windows to be sure you have a good, complete, and clean OS.

I would strongly agree with ubuysa on this, it's quite possible there are drivers missing or outdated in the trial OS.

lorgyo

I would strongly agree with ubuysa on this, it's quite possible there are drivers missing or outdated in the trial OS.

Well. I'll give it a shot. I hope it will solve my problem because I really love the laptop itself the look and the performance is just perfect. :) Sorry from the Thread owner for posting here my problem. :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi Spyder,

As far as I know the one's I've updated were:

-nVidia GeForce GTX 960M
-Intel(R) HD Graphics 530
-Intel(R) Wireless-N 7265
-Realtek Digital Output

I did search for updates on other drivers, but most were already updated or Windows couldn't find an update(via Windows driver updates). I've tried uninstalling the nVidia update (in safe mode) and re-installing the most recent ones. I can provide .dmp files from the BSOD if it's required.

Thanks.

Windows won't be able to report on most drivers weather or not they're out of date, never trust device managers reporting of this. The only sure way of driver updates is going directly to the manufacturers website for each component.

Others I would suspect will be Hotkey (control center) and the chipset drivers. Best place to check is www.clevo.com.tw and look for your model number

Macecraft

I've installed the Control Center and the Insyde HID drivers (I was provided them by email) and I still get the issue. I'll try the Clevo link next.

I was advised on the phone to also try re-installing Windows 10 (which I have done) and that didn't solve the issue either.

Last edited: