Need laptop advice

chazfaz

Hi,

I am in the same place laptop wise I think Alex. I know the advice is to get the best GPU you can but I really want the 17" screen(!)
The issue with the Optimus VII is whether the GEforce 640M is up to it and it looks lioke its not that "future proofed" (not that any laptop ever really is)

The questions I have on similar lines is:
1. Is the 640M up to it? My main gaming addiction is ROME 2 TW
2. Does 8GB or 16gb RAM work better with the 640M? (As I know that sometimes more RAM doesn't actually add anything.
3. Should I just go with the 15" and get a 670M? (and suck up the extra £100)

Hope you and i can get some good advice!

;-)

Rakk

The Awesome
chazfez I have moved your post into a post of your own, its best to create your own thread rather than usinh someone elses thread.

For everyone else the post he was referring to is :
I want to buy a laptop from here(15.6 or 17.3 Optimus VII), that I can work in Cryengine 3, 3DS Max, Maya, play a few games etc, watching movies...so I need some informations and what would you recommend.

BTW, if I want to work in Maya, 3DS Max...what would you recommend, the 15.6 or 17.3 laptop ? Is there a big difference between them ?
Though not sure whether that's relevant :)

Greenman

Enthusiast
I think you mean 960m.

The naming doesn't really do it justice, the 970m is a lot better than the 960m. Here's the 3DMark scores:

960m - 4303
970m - 7486

So it's almost twice as fast. Here's some links that includes gaming benchmarks as well.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-960M.138006.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-970M.126694.0.html

As for RAM, 8gb is plenty for gaming. You only need more if you plan on doing heavy video editing and the like. So it's really up to you if you think £100 is worth the extra power. If you really can't deal with the screen, the 17" defiance is quite a bit more than the 15" one so that's something else to consider.

chazfaz

Tanks Rakk! Noob tastic posting from me, sorry!

And thanks Greenman, I guess you are confirming what I already suspected - get the best GPU you can afford as it really can make a difference!

Stephen M

Author Level
Yes, the best GPU. As for screen size, a lot is down to personal taste or eyesight, personally I cannot get on with small screens and if you are using it as a work machine as well the extra screen space comes in very handy with multiple windows open. For gaming I would try to get the 970M but depends on budget. It is worth remembering that the GPU and CPU are probably not going to be upgradeable and even if they are it is an expensive way of doing things. Adding extra RAM or and SSD later on is not a problem.