Windows 7 on Defiance II?

orost

The pre-purchase info page says that Windows 7 is not supported and that drivers might not work. Does anyone know if that means there are likely to be any actual problems or if it's just a "it'll probably work but not our problem if it doesn't" disclaimer? (I'll be getting a 980M)

Mr Matt

I've also just ordered a Defiance II 980M and I plan to install Win7 on it and then use the free upgrade to Win10. Others on this forum have said that some M.2 HDD are not supported by Win7 and this is what PCS are referring to by that advisory warning.

As for the 6th gen CPU and 980M graphics cards I believe that there is no issue with Win7. HP and Dell make pre-built laptops using these components and sell them with Win7 installed so they must be compatible.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The pre-purchase info page says that Windows 7 is not supported and that drivers might not work. Does anyone know if that means there are likely to be any actual problems or if it's just a "it'll probably work but not our problem if it doesn't" disclaimer? (I'll be getting a 980M)

It's really as to weather or not you can find drivers for the machine on win 7. Afaik, clevo haven't released any win 7 drivers for the defiance II which is why PCS say it's not compatible. You'd be able to find drivers like graphics, intel graphics, etc, but not the important chassis dependent ones like hotkey and chipset.

orost

Has anyone tried using the Windows 8 drivers on Windows 7? I know that it sometimes works.

Edit: after some googling I discovered that the Skylake platform itself is mostly incompatible with Windows 7. Oh well. I'll amend my order to add Windows 8 and save my copy of 7 for some older computer.

Last edited: