Pointless Poll for you all!

What will the next Android operating system be called?

• Total voters

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Hi everyone.

I was just sat at work and decided to try and guess the next Android operating system. As you do

Previously they have been:

2015 - Marshmallow
2014/15 - Lollipop
2013 - KitKat
2012/13 - Jelly Bean
2011 - Ice Cream Sandwich
2011 - Gingerbread
2010 - Froyo

Which means the next one will begin with N!

So. The game is to guess the name of the next one. I've come up with a few that I can think of, feel free to add your own to the thread. Answers will be revealed at some point in the distant future, by which time I will probably have forgotten about this thread :D

I can only post 10, so the other two I have are:

Nando's
&
Nestle.

Oh... and there's no prize. Except for being a know-it-all. Congratulations.

EDIT: Obviously the poll closes once it's been announced!

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Well a few of those are not possible since all the names are also named after a dessert or sweet food. Nutella would require work with the owner of Nutella like they did with KitKat. It may even lead to Android branded Nutella jars like they did with KitKat.

However I think it would likely be between Nougat, Nectarine or Nut Something.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Eclair, Donut and Cupcake were also publicly available versions with A and B not really having dessert names but Alpha and Beta instead.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Nougat seems very likely, however Nutella I feel has a lot more awesomeness to it. Everyone loves Nutella.

mishra

Rising Star
After years of using apple products decided to give in to android hype. Went with xperia z5 compact as it felt just the right size for me. Now, while I can't say a bad word about the phone. The whole software upgrade experience is a joke! Marshmallow is out for like 5 months now. Yet, my phone still didn't receive the update. Now, seeing release of the latest android "N" it feels it will be available for me in like 2 years if I'm lucky!

Is it always like that for Android phones with updates? I mean I know there are some Google branded phones which get priority updates much earlier... but does the rest of the fold has to wait so long to get update to the OS after it's release? My mate have a S6 Galaxy Edge+ or whatever it's called and also no Marshmallow yet? Is this normal?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
After years of using apple products decided to give in to android hype. Went with xperia z5 compact as it felt just the right size for me. Now, while I can't say a bad word about the phone. The whole software upgrade experience is a joke! Marshmallow is out for like 5 months now. Yet, my phone still didn't receive the update. Now, seeing release of the latest android "N" it feels it will be available for me in like 2 years if I'm lucky!

Is it always like that for Android phones with updates? I mean I know there are some Google branded phones which get priority updates much earlier... but does the rest of the fold has to wait so long to get update to the OS after it's release? My mate have a S6 Galaxy Edge+ or whatever it's called and also no Marshmallow yet? Is this normal?

Depends on operator and manufacturer. Both determine the wait for updates. The only way to get release updates is with a google phone (nexus). Sony (your xperia) are fairly slow at updates like around 6 to 8 months and their update cycle is often cut short on models that don't sell so well.

Operators have an effect also, so beyond the manufacturer delay, it will then be passed to the operator who will add their bumf on the top of it just to slow it down. I was with O2 for years, and their updates were typically about 6 months added wait. I'm now with 3, who seem much better and also unlock their phones (unlike O2 who lock their bootloaders - absolute daylight robbery!!!)

mishra

Rising Star
Dear me I am with o2 :(
I really do like the new features of the Android "N", seem Marshmallow does not bring anything fancy (except the permission stuff).

Last edited: