Changing AMD to Intel - Possible?

cschou83

Hello everyone :)

I'm brand new here, but bought a custom built AMD PC here a year ago. I'm getting some freezing in game and blue screens so thinking of upgrading to an Intel based build. I bought the build I have now with the help of a friend whom I don't speak to anymore so can't ask him any questions about it, so am hoping you guys will be able to help me out. I changed the RAM on my old Macbook so am expecting I can change the stuff in the PC myself. Before you say it, I know it's not the same! But still. But I don't know if I can change from AMD to Intel not to mention what I should get. I do use a few heavy programs so it needs to be a really heavy duty computer. I will post my specs below. Anybody that can help with anything, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Specs:
Case: NZXT PHANTOM 240 WHITE GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU): AMD FX-8350 Eight Core CPU (4.00-4.20GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3+)
Motherboard: ASUS® M5A97 LE R2.0 (DDR3, USB3.0, 6Gb/s)
Memory (RAM): 16GB HyperX FURY DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card: 3GB AMD RADEON™ R9 280X - DVI, HDMI, mDP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable
Power Supply: CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY
Processor Cooling: Corsair H100i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

My harddrives I'm guessing are irrelevant.

cschou83

You will need a new motherboard as well as the Intel CPU, everything else could be used.

That's perfectly fine! Have any suggestions what would work with the rest of it, or maybe you can direct me in a path to where I could find out myself?

Rakk

The Awesome
I'm brand new here, but bought a custom built AMD PC here a year ago. I'm getting some freezing in game and blue screens so thinking of upgrading to an Intel based build. I bought the build I have now with the help of a friend whom I don't speak to anymore so can't ask him any questions about it, so am hoping you guys will be able to help me out. I changed the RAM on my old Macbook so am expecting I can change the stuff in the PC myself. Before you say it, I know it's not the same! But still. But I don't know if I can change from AMD to Intel not to mention what I should get. I do use a few heavy programs so it needs to be a really heavy duty computer. I will post my specs below. Anybody that can help with anything, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

If you're getting freezing and blue screens then you probably ought to try and work out whats causing those before changing the CPU, as I wouldn't bet on it being the CPU - otherwise you could well end up with the same issues with the new CPU/mobo.

Also note that the Windows license you currently have on your PC is more than likely an OEM version (presuming you bought the PC with Windows installed), and that license is tied to the motherboard, so getting it to work on the new motherboard may well require a call to Microsoft and trying to explain that it is the same machine just with an new motherboard - they may update it for you, I don't know.

cschou83

If you're getting freezing and blue screens then you probably ought to try and work out whats causing those before changing the CPU, as I wouldn't bet on it being the CPU - otherwise you could well end up with the same issues with the new CPU/mobo.

Also note that the Windows license you currently have on your PC is more than likely an OEM version (presuming you bought the PC with Windows installed), and that license is tied to the motherboard, so getting it to work on the new motherboard may well require a call to Microsoft and trying to explain that it is the same machine just with an new motherboard - they may update it for you, I don't know.

Okay, I did look up the error and it didn't give any answers though. Luckily it's only been twice with the blue screen. The freezing I'm guessing is because of the computer because it occurred for the first time when I changed the game to a 64-bit version.

The OS I bought at a different vendor. It's not OEM. So I can change that. Thanks for the input and advice! :)

Also I did some mild searching at different vendors in my country. One has upgrade packages. I found one with these 3 components:
Intel Core i7-4790, 3.6Ghz, Quadcore, LGA1150
HyperX Fury DDR3 1600MHz 16GB Black KIT
MSI LGA1150 Z97S SLI KRAIT EDITION

Can anyone speak as to whether this would be compatible with the rest of my specs? Also does it matter that the RAM is Dual-DDR3 versus the package singular DDR3?