missing agentctl.dll file

Rob1878

Bronze Level Poster
I am trying to get an old program to work and when I try to install it I get an error message saying "An error occurred whilst registering the file C;\WINDOWS.system32\agentctl.dll". Consequently when I try to run the program I get an error message saying "Component agentctl.dll or one of its dependencies not correctly registered; a file is missing or invalid". I am guessing this is because I have a 64 bit version of Windows installed? Is there a work around to this? Could I partition the hard drive and make one partition 32 bit and the other 64 bit?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I am trying to get an old program to work and when I try to install it I get an error message saying "An error occurred whilst registering the file C;\WINDOWS.system32\agentctl.dll". Consequently when I try to run the program I get an error message saying "Component agentctl.dll or one of its dependencies not correctly registered; a file is missing or invalid". I am guessing this is because I have a 64 bit version of Windows installed? Is there a work around to this? Could I partition the hard drive and make one partition 32 bit and the other 64 bit?

Yes, you could partition the drive and have a separate 32bit windows installation. The other thing to do is run the install file as administrator and in compatibility mode for whichever OS the program was designed for.

Rob1878

Bronze Level Poster
I upgraded to Windows 10, I still have my Windows 7 disk though, will I still be able to partition my drive? And is partioning trick to do?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I upgraded to Windows 10, I still have my Windows 7 disk though, will I still be able to partition my drive? And is partioning trick to do?

You can partition with any version of windows using disk manager within windows control panel. It's very easy to do.

Note after the upgrade to 10, you have a month to revert or your key becomes a permanent windows 10 key so you wouldn't be able to reinstall windows 7.

Rob1878

Bronze Level Poster
You can partition with any version of windows using disk manager within windows control panel. It's very easy to do.

Note after the upgrade to 10, you have a month to revert or your key becomes a permanent windows 10 key so you wouldn't be able to reinstall windows 7.

Thanks, its been more than a month so for better or for worse I have Windows 10!