Various temperatures in SpeedFan

Alright so I'm new to this whole overclocking business and would appreciate some advice on the layout of SpeedFan. I ran a torture test with prime95 at stock (3.5Ghz) to see where the CPU was temperature wise. Now i assumed the core was the cpu temp but temp 3 is showing 70C (I attatched a picture) which is the absolute maximum temperature I was going to overclock the CPU to in the first place. So do I leave it as it is? Or is temp 3 something else and completely irrelevant and I can still overclock as core is only at 54C? My CPU is an AMD fx-6300 currently at 3.5Ghz

Attachments

• 3.5Ghz torture.jpg
    3.5Ghz torture.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 354

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I would suggest getting CoreTemp to monitor your CPU temperatures. It holds the maximum/minimum values so that you can easily reference how it's running. 70C isn't THAT hot IMO, but I'm not sure what the TJmax is for that CPU.

Also is it just the CPU temp I have to worry about when over clocking? I'm currently at 4 GHz stable and my CPU maxes at about 58C but temp 3 is consistently 72C?
Bear in mind this is completely stock cooling

jerpers

Master
CPU temp at 58 is ok. What mobo do you have? This might be your northbridge temp getting that high. Whilst not a major issue, it is a little high. In my AMD machine, the NB reached 80C plus so I repasted the heatsink for the motherboard and added a fan over it to cool it down. When overclocking, it is always best to use a non stock cooler.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Also is it just the CPU temp I have to worry about when over clocking? I'm currently at 4 GHz stable and my CPU maxes at about 58C but temp 3 is consistently 72C?
Bear in mind this is completely stock cooling

Is this on coretemp? I have no idea what temp3 is unfortunately.

Gigabyte 78LMT

Should be fine i think, it drops to around 40C at normal use anyway. i've settled at 4GHz because any higher and the cpu becomes unstable again and i don't want to put any more voltage through it than i already am (want to keep the lifespan relatively high). and i know you shouldn't use stock cooling but its only a mild oc and im a cheapskate.

By the way im planning on getting a new gpu, probably around about the gtx 650Ti boost kind of mark and i'm wondering whether my 500w psu will handle that and my cpu, amd fx-6300 at 4GHz

jerpers

Master
From looking at that board, temp3 sound like the northbridge. Double check by running with the case open and after earthing yourself touch the NB heatsink. The cause can be a few things:
1. Poor airflow in you case. You can rectify this with more fans or attaching a fan to the NB with cable ties.
2. Poor quality PSU/not enough power. 650w or higher would be preferable.
3. Poor paste on the heatsink. You should be able to remove it, clean and reapply. This can be fiddly and probably needs to completely remove the board.

Either way, for overclocking I would always use an after market cooler for the CPU.