New laptop

oiyou

Got my new laptop. This is a replacement following another burglary. It has a 15" screen, 64Gb RAM, NVidia GTX980m graphics card with 8Gb Video RAM, quadcore cpu and 2Tb drive. No OS as I use Linux. It is running LinuxMint 18 with the Mate desktop (I have had more success with Mate than Cinnamon in the past). When it boots there are some error messages but it runs lightning quick. The attachments show the Mate desktop (with celebratory bottle of Thornbridge/Brooklyn Serpent) plus running GIMP image manipulation software and Blender 3D CGI software.
I'm very happy with this laptop and would recommend PCS to anyone.

Attachments

• PCS_GIMP.JPG
    PCS_GIMP.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 301
  • PCS_Laptop.JPG
    PCS_Laptop.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 319
  • PCS_Blender.JPG
    PCS_Blender.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 301

oiyou

Blender can be very resource intensive. If I decide to render with Luxrender I can use GPU and CPU at the same time and this will cut render times. It also helps to stop the viewport slowing down too much with complex scenes

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Blender can be very resource intensive. If I decide to render with Luxrender I can use GPU and CPU at the same time and this will cut render times. It also helps to stop the viewport slowing down too much with complex scenes

I would love to see a performance report showing all of that 64GB in use... :)

oiyou

Complex particle systems could do it. Particularly things like trees, even if the individual leaves are alpha-mapped planes. Hopefully the GPU RAM will deal with these but sometimes CPU is better if slower. It is only recently that Blender can render volumetrics with GPU. Also, the hope is that it won't max out and that I am in some way future-proofing myself. Anyone using Photoshop (I can't as I use Linux) can quite easily use up that RAM if they use high enough colour depth, enough layers and the .psb format rather than the old .psd one. GIMP can do that too, especially if you use the 2.9 branch which has the higher colour depth and Krita can, I think, go higher still (to 64-bit floating point) which all becomes even more memory intensive.
BTW, Blender, GIMP and Krita are all free, open-source software so worth investigating. If they're not for you then they haven't cost you anything.
Just a few thoughts.