What is New Feature in Windows 10 ?

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
So three titles. Windows 10 is a year old and you can still count them on one hand...And...I didn't say big names, I said many.

Not generally arguing by the way. I like to future proof my machines as much as possible and indeed, I have a DX12 card in mine, but it's not really a massive selling point yet.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Apologies if I misunderstood. I'd interpreted your comment to imply that DX12 isn't a big deal and that Windows 10 has no real features a gamer shoul be interested in over any other version of Windows.

Those are 3 pretty huge titles tbf. Sure it's not many, but in volume of sales / liklihood of a given gamer getting one of them it's likely to make up for it. You're right that there aren't huge volumes of titles with DX12 support yet, but that point carries relatively little weight in this conversation if a high proportion of blockbuster titles have DX12.

but it's not really a massive selling point yet
I guess we'll just agree to disagree on that :) It's a technology that's in use, that will be seeing use in three of the biggest releases of the year in the next few months, so it's not a question of future-proofing, it's already very relevant.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
So three titles. Windows 10 is a year old and you can still count them on one hand...And...I didn't say big names, I said many.

Not generally arguing by the way. I like to future proof my machines as much as possible and indeed, I have a DX12 card in mine, but it's not really a massive selling point yet.

Not to mention the number of DX12/Windows 10 exclusives has just recently dropped by one with Quantum Break soon be to available on Steam and DX11.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Though I gather QB was a horribly optimised mess, even with significant patching, which may go some way to explaining why even when Hitman and RotTR gets used in DX12 benchmarks, QB doesn't. A bit like how Arkham Knight went flat on its face.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Though I gather QB was a horribly optimised mess, even with significant patching, which may go some way to explaining why even when Hitman and RotTR gets used in DX12 benchmarks, QB doesn't. A bit like how Arkham Knight went flat on its face.

Pretty sure those games get used because they can then also compare performance between DX11 and DX12

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Pretty sure they don't. 3dguru, hexus, and eurogamer for example just bench DX12 on those titles for current hardware reviews. Techspot includes both, but I don't see that they wouldn't bench the titles at all if a DX11 mode weren't available given that other sites are happy to proceed with DX12 only. Most sites seem more interested in how various GPUs perform relative to each other in DX12 rather than how they perform relative to themselves in DX11 vs DX12.

Also QB suffered from being Windows Store, which gather a lot of people on PC have avoided due to the various limitations imposed on games (lack of mod support, forced borderless windowed vsync, or whatever it was). I certainly have.

Last edited:

steaky360

Good reason to get Windows 10 for me would be Gears of War :) That was probably my all time favourite game from the Xbox 360 - and it is (at the moment at least) a windows store exclusive... so you need Win10.

Although I don't think that will be a compelling enough reason for most people. To be honest, I'd suggest getting Win10 mostly because Win7 won't last forever and Win10 is definitely better than Win8/Win8.1 (I'd say Win10 is better than Win7 for 90% of users). Better to get over the pain now when you get a new rig (or asap really) rather than waiting and having to upgrade at an indefinite point in the future when you'll effectively be 'forced' into it due to lack of support/optimisation/etc.

jessiw9

The Start Menu is Back
Cortana Makes the Start Menu Even Smarter
Microsoft Edge Finally Replaces Internet Explorer
You Can Now Add Multiple Desktops
Windows Now Has a Central Notification Center
Universal Apps and Continuum Bridge Tablets and PCs in a Non-Stupid Way