Defiance III 15" CPU overclocking and 3k screen

Kellitt

Hi all,

I've recently purchased a Defiance III 15 inch laptop, here are the specs:

Chassis & Display Defiance Series: 15.6" Matte 3K IPS LED Widescreen (2880x1620)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 6820HK (2.7GHz, 3.6GHz Turbo)
Overclocking Service Overclock the Intel® Core™ i7-6820HK with speeds up to 3.7GHz
Memory (RAM) 16GB HyperX IMPACT 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 - 8.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1, G-SYNC
Memory - Hard Disk 1TB WD SLIM BLUE 2.5" WD10SPCX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (5400 rpm)
M.2 SSD Drive 128GB SAMSUNG SM951 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 2000MB/R, 650MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NOT REQUIRED
Memory Card Reader Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor 1 x 200W AC Adaptor
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Def. Audio + MIC/Headphone + SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3
Bluetooth & Wireless GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-8260 M.2 (867Mbps, 802.11AC) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options 4 x USB 3.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery Defiance Series 4 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (60WH)
Keyboard Language DEFIANCE SERIES RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
Operating System Language United Kingdom - English Language
DVD Recovery Media Windows 10 (64-bit) Home DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser Google Chrome™
Notebook Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty 3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Dead Pixel Guarantee 1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs
Insurance 1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Delivery STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days
Promotional Item FREE PARAGON GAME READY PACK with select GTX 10 Series GPUs!

I have a couple of questions which I can't seem to find the answers to.

1. I have chosen the overclocking service, but on the description it says they are going to overclock from 3.6GHZ to 3.7GHz. Why so little? For the price I paid I'd expect to see a bit more surely? I feel slight cheated if this is the case. I have seen on other websites that this CPU can be overclocked to 4.0GHZ. I did read about some bug in the clevos which causes cpu throttling? Making OCing the CPU pointless? Maybe wrong there.

2. Ive chosen the 3k screen as I will be using it for graphics and 3d design as well as gaming. Has anyone else had this screen? And if so what are your thoughts?

Thanks and hope someone can help!

Cheers

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I'm not sure on the overclock. I certainly managed a 4.1GHz overclock that was stable. Temps weren't great so I lowered it to 4.0GHz but I also undervolted it to help even more. It was rock solid.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
1. I have chosen the overclocking service, but on the description it says they are going to overclock from 3.6GHZ to 3.7GHz. Why so little? For the price I paid I'd expect to see a bit more surely? I feel slight cheated if this is the case. I have seen on other websites that this CPU can be overclocked to 4.0GHZ. I did read about some bug in the clevos which causes cpu throttling? Making OCing the CPU pointless? Maybe wrong there.
Maybe a mistake in the configurator? You may want to contact PCS directly. Don't think you should feel cheated if that's the case since it indicates the overclocked and you order it as it is.

ChaoticDev

Congratz on your purchase!

Anyway, about your questions:

You could try contacting PCS to overclock yours further. Personally I wouldn't suggest going over 4.0 under any circumstances. Overclocking a 15.6'' laptop is generally a bad idea as the cooling is not as good as in desktops or larger notebooks.

Now about the screen... 3k is quite tricky. Most games are developed for 1080p. 4k is popular as it is 4 times that and thus the scaling is perfect. On 2k and 3k screens however... scaling is not as good. While it's not very important, I just wanted you to know that since it's quite noticeable when gaming.

Kellitt

Great thanks for all your advice. I decided to change my screen to 1080p. I realized the cons of 3k outweigh the pros and 1080p at 15" should still look amazing. ☺

Kellitt

I also removed overclocking service as they say they can overclock to 3.7ghz. It already has a boost to 3.6GHz so for £39 0.1GHz doesn't seem worth it

rav007

Enthusiast
Will be interesting to get your feedback on the 1080p screen once you receive it. Also, the CPU turbo boosts are only active when PSU powered in my experience. My haswell i7 4700mq wouldnt turbo on battery power. Plus the overclocking feature seems to be more aimed at people who would like to squeeze out extra performance but dont know what they are doing or how to achieve it. It seems silly to have overclocking to 3.6GHz but in reality that may be the lower stable limit of the CPU. They may be able to OC your CPU to over 4.0, but of course not all CPUs will OC the same. The 3.6GHz will be likely be a conservative value that they can guarantee will be achievable.

jherard

Hi Bro,

Would you be able to test something for me,
Can you check its monitor refresh rate

To find the Monitor refresh rate.

Right click to on desktop, click screen resolution, then click advance settings and find the monitor tab, it should show ur refresh rate,
and post a pic

Can you also check if you can Overclock the Monitor

by going through https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRa5h4qvACY