Define X1

Yardem

Silver Level Poster
Hi,

I followed the instructions for settings things up, and the system is now up and running.
I haven't used Windows since early 2000s, so I'm making slow progress.

1. The packaging is amazing, nothing was out of place.
2. Man, this Noctua cooler is massive! But the desktop is whisper quiet, even during benchmark.
3. I downloaded the free 3Dmark benchmark tool and ran the TimeSpy tests. The results were slightly better than the ones posted by The_Scotster for his laptop. Didn't write down the results, and couldn't save with the free version :\

Got some questions:
1. What are other benchmark tools that I could run?
2. How do I find out what GPU brand I got? There's no booklet or anything included with the Welcome Package (did get some for the motherboard, power supply, case, even for the RAM chips). The drivers seem to be generic for the GTX 1080, no clue there. The card itself seems to have no markings that I can see.
3. I thought the CPU would be overclocked, but it seems it runs at the standard 4GHz. When I view my order on the PCS home page, there's a file I can download, marked "overclock BIOS file". Is this a DIY thing?

Thanks.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
1) While you can save 3dmark results as a file, it usually gives you a link and your result is available online.
Fire Strike (from the 3dmark suite) is quite a commonly-used benchmark.
Ungine Valley is a nice bench and fairly popular: https://unigine.com/products/benchmarks/valley/ (free, 3m run time, quite aesthetic imo)
Games may also have in-game benchmarks
Cinebench is something you can use to bench the CPU.

2) GPU-Z has a lookup feature that should tell you: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

3) Who says the CPU isn't overclocked? Windows often reports the wrong clock speed, and some system-spec software will just report the default base frequency of a CPU rather than the actual speed it's running at. I think even my BIOS's front page says my CPU is 3500MHZ and it's not until I go further in that it confirms it's at 4600MHz.
Also it may be that the overclock only kicks in when it needs to, (unlike fixed OCs that I think are a bit less common with Skylake?). Download CPU-Z http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html or HWinfo or something and have it running while you run Cinebench multi-threaded or Prime95 or something else that will stress your CPU and see what the core clocks are reported as.

CPU-Z.png
You can see the specification listing the default base clock and the frequency the CPU is actually running at respectively.

Last edited:

Yardem

Silver Level Poster
GPU-Z confirms that the GPU is a Zotac Founders Edition

Ran the Cinebench tests, and got a 962 score for the CPU. Meanwhile, confirmed that the i7 bursts to 4.4GHz during the test. Otherwise, it runs at 800MHz.
CPU temps are around 65C.

The graphics tests look great, and scores are pretty high, but I'm running in 1080p at the moment, as I don't have the room to install the new monitor.
I downloaded and installed the Forza Motorsport Apex, and it runs smooth as butter on my 40" television via HDMI. Constant 60fps, not a glitch.

Many thanks for your help, Oussebon!

slampro

Hi,

I followed the instructions for settings things up, and the system is now up and running.
I haven't used Windows since early 2000s, so I'm making slow progress.

1. The packaging is amazing, nothing was out of place.
2. Man, this Noctua cooler is massive! But the desktop is whisper quiet, even during benchmark.
3. I downloaded the free 3Dmark benchmark tool and ran the TimeSpy tests. The results were slightly better than the ones posted by The_Scotster for his laptop. Didn't write down the results, and couldn't save with the free version :\

Got some questions:
1. What are other benchmark tools that I could run?
2. How do I find out what GPU brand I got? There's no booklet or anything included with the Welcome Package (did get some for the motherboard, power supply, case, even for the RAM chips). The drivers seem to be generic for the GTX 1080, no clue there. The card itself seems to have no markings that I can see.
3. I thought the CPU would be overclocked, but it seems it runs at the standard 4GHz. When I view my order on the PCS home page, there's a file I can download, marked "overclock BIOS file". Is this a DIY thing?

Thanks.

Don't suppose you could possibly record the noise of the pc while it is in a game? if you have the capability.

Yardem

Silver Level Poster
So it's really quiet? That was one of my main worries.

I've come to believe they added the LED stripes for this exact purpose: they lit up and you know the PC is running.
If there were no lights, you'd be flicking the switch again and again, thinking it has not turned on.

slampro

I've come to believe they added the LED stripes for this exact purpose: they lit up and you know the PC is running.
If there were no lights, you'd be flicking the switch again and again, thinking it has not turned on.

Thank you so much, I can not stand noisy pcs after having one for over 5 years, you have made my day, now hopefully they will get it here sharpish.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Great to see some results from the X1 and even better to see that the Octane III actually matches it (My vanilla results are a bit under but my overclocked results are actually higher). Just goes to show how close to the desktop the notebook chips are.

Have fun with it. Also, thanks for mentioning Forza. I absolutely LOVE that franchise and it was the reason I bought an Xbox360 many moons ago. I've not opted for the XBone, I never even considered downloading it on the PC. I'm honestly so out of touch with PC gaming :D

Yardem

Silver Level Poster
GPU-Z confirms that the GPU is a Zotac Founders Edition

It's been 20 months, and this GPU seems to be dead!

My son told me the computer powered off while he was playing, and then it wouldn't start again.
I isolated the problem to the GPU: with it connected to the PSU, the PC will not power up (no fans, no POST, nothing). With the GPU disconnected from the PSU, the PC works.
I've tried different power cables, different PSU connector. Finally, I gave up, and I gave him the 1080ti from my PC, and now he can play again.

Then, I tried his GPU in my PC, and same thing happens: with the card powered, the PC won't start.
The PCS warranty is only 1 year for parts, so I suspect no luck with that.

Is there anything that can be done with this card at this point, or is it a write-off?
Thanks.

NOTE: my son's gaming system is the Define X1 purchased in Sept 2016 from PCS. My gaming system was acquired from a different company, but I'm not talking about that here.

jerpers

Master
Zotac have a standard warranty of 2 years. I would contact PCS in the first instance but if you have no joy, you can go through zotac directly and they should be able to help you out.

Yardem

Silver Level Poster
PCS have confirmed that the GPU was under warranty with Zotac. They created an RMA for it, I shipped the dead one to them, and they promptly posted a replacement, which arrived today. Obviously not happy that the original card died, but very happy to have obtained a brand new replacement in such a timely manner.
Thank you, PCS!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
PCS have confirmed that the GPU was under warranty with Zotac. They created an RMA for it, I shipped the dead one to them, and they promptly posted a replacement, which arrived today. Obviously not happy that the original card died, but very happy to have obtained a brand new replacement in such a timely manner.
Thank you, PCS!

Awesome!