The best chair for gaming?

Vexet

Hi guys. I am in deserate need of a gaming chair, but the more i research on it the more I realize that the branded so called "gaming chairs" isn't actually that suitable for gaming. For example this Best gaming chair buyer's guide says
Throughout the guide, you will notice us using the term ‘Gaming Chair’ a lot, and the term itself can be misleading. A lot of times a gaming chair is just a rebrand of an office chair with some minor color tweaks but costs twice the price than the original chair
what does this article mean by saying that exactly?
And do you guys have any recommendations for CHEAP gaming chairs?

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Hi guys. I am in deserate need of a gaming chair, but the more i research on it the more I realize that the branded so called "gaming chairs" isn't actually that suitable for gaming. For example this Best gaming chair buyer's guide says what does this article mean by saying that exactly?
And do you guys have any recommendations for CHEAP gaming chairs?

Unfortunately chairs arent cheap really, and you do get what you pay for. In my experience, the gaming chairs arent particularly great for your back. You can however pay hundreds for an office chair. If you are spending a lot of time in it, it would be wise to read reviews etc. I had a bad back from sitting in an office chair too long every day, and tried a gaming chair....it was awful. Terrible posture and pushed your shoulders forward so you developed upper back ache and neck pain. I tried a few chairs but eventually (even though im loathe to recommend Ikea stuff usually...most of it is not great) I settled on the Ikea Markus. Its really comfortable, keeps the back and neck pain free; and not too wallet breaking. If you can find one for sale on Ebay or wait for a sale, you cant go wrong.

Ikea Markus

A lot of it is down to personal opinion, but then you get a lot of chairs that will do you harm by just sitting on them for long periods...best to check some out if you can in a store or something but this is pretty hard. Good luck! It took me ages to find one that was any good....

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
As above really, I recently forked out £230 on a nice office chair and its well worth it. Gaming chairs are not the best in my experience, they look funky and futuristic but they tend to forget that you want to be comfortable. Something expensive is best unfortunately if not purely for comfort then longevity. I bought a couple of budget office chairs many years ago and they fell apart within no time meaning they cost just as much as more expensive (more comfortable) ones over time anyway.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Unfortunately chairs arent cheap really, and you do get what you pay for. In my experience, the gaming chairs arent particularly great for your back. You can however pay hundreds for an office chair. If you are spending a lot of time in it, it would be wise to read reviews etc. I had a bad back from sitting in an office chair too long every day, and tried a gaming chair....it was awful. Terrible posture and pushed your shoulders forward so you developed upper back ache and neck pain. I tried a few chairs but eventually (even though im loathe to recommend Ikea stuff usually...most of it is not great) I settled on the Ikea Markus. Its really comfortable, keeps the back and neck pain free; and not too wallet breaking. If you can find one for sale on Ebay or wait for a sale, you cant go wrong.

Ikea Markus

A lot of it is down to personal opinion, but then you get a lot of chairs that will do you harm by just sitting on them for long periods...best to check some out if you can in a store or something but this is pretty hard. Good luck! It took me ages to find one that was any good....

Must have got lucky with mine, I bought just about the cheapest gaming chair off Amazon and it's been really good! I used to have a really bad back from a number of awful chairs but this seems to have helped. Having the full back so I can rest my head back is the best thing about it.

Vexet

Bought the DX Racer chair, felt good the first 4 hours, then my back literally almost broke. Can't recommend that rubbish to anyone, trying out to IKEA Marcus chair for now. HOpe it will be better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dayve

For 10 whole years I had an actual arm chair (the kind you have in a living room) for my gaming chair. I just plopped it in front of my PC one day and loved it so much I used it for 10 years.

Earlier this year, it was so worn out, I had to throw it away. The part you sit on was totally caved in (this happened years previously, but I filled it up with blankets and stuff to make it firm again), then the springs started poking out of the back and in to my neck, then the arm rests started to rip. Also, it was green when new, but used for so long that actually turned grey by the end. Oh and all the wheels were squashed in to squares because it had been in the same place for so long, and used so much.

But even with all these problems, it was still comfy. Everybody else who ever sat in it said it was the most uncomfortable chair they've ever sat in, but to me it was so comfy. But, eventually, I had to get rid of it. It just looked so bad, and honestly it smelled funky. So I got one of these:

Brand New Designed Racing Sport Swivel Office chair in Black Red Color (Amazon.co.uk - copy that in to the search bar and you'll see it).

It's pretty good, sturdy (I weigh 15 stone and spend hours sat in it every single day), fairly comfy.

But I still miss my arm chair so much... nothing will ever be as comfy.