Help deciding on new phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rakk

The Awesome
So, it's time to look for a new phone (for a number of reasons including the fact my current one seems to be struggling, is running out of space and my current contract is due for renewal).
Current phone - Moto G 4G with 8GB Storage

Current uses: I've got a few games on my phone currently (Pokemon Go *cough* I had to try it - most of the rest of my office was playing it *cough* (it runs terribly on my current phone - the tracking keeps stopping working), Pandemic - probably not that intensive, and an addictive tower defense game that my boss told me about

At the moment I am trying to decide between a Huawei (I have no idea how to pronounce that) P9 or a Samsung S6, so looking for something that does not cost more than those two - so no I can't afford an S7!
I am restricted to O2 or Vodafone as looking at Ofcoms coverage checker, EE is likely to be poor connection indoors and Three is even worse - currently on O2 and I know I have reception inside.

Was thinking about buying the phone outright and going for SIM only plan but looking at Vodafones offers on those two phones, it actually looks cheaper to get a new phone on a contract (which seems very odd).

I think the P9s CPU is better than the S6s but comparing phone CPUs is a nightmare as there a lot of different CPU names, the only things you can really compare is core speed as far as I can tell.
Comparison of phones here: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=7972&idPhone2=6849, though most of teh details don't really mean much to me.

Anyways, the main point of this thread is that between those two phones which is going to be better or are there other better alternatives for the same cost or less than those two?

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I feel your pain as I recently went through a similar process of trying to decide.

I wrote Samsung off for different reasons though - I had a Note 3, bought from a friend when it was 7 months old and in that time it received not a single security update. Now I'm not overly fussed about the latest full blown OS but I don't want a phone that's as open as a sieve!

LG looked like good options but at the time the G3 was coming to end of life and the G4 wasn't out yet.

In the end, I opted for a Oneplus 2. The 3 is out now.

Overall I am happy with it. For a company though, who's motto is "never compromise" there were quite a lot of them: no NFC (so no Google pay - not a problem for me, but it might be for some), no support for expanding the storage (again no issue for me as it has 64GB internal storage). No removable battery and no fast-charge. It is USB-C. It is also dual SIM though, which is great for me.

I believe the 3 has some of these things - NFC and fast charge.

Oh and it gets regular updates. Not as frequent as say my Dad's Nexus but the build quality is superb.

The best bit - it was £245 brand new, unlocked.

Edit: The 3 is £329 - https://oneplus.net/uk/oneplus-3 and the 2 is £249 -https://oneplus.net/uk/2

Stephen M

Author Level
Am currently using an Aquaris, they are less than 200 from Amazon and come unlocked. I use mine as it takes the Ubuntu OS and have been very pleased with it, the dual sim is handy if you are travelling outside the EU an want a cheap local sim. They also produce Android phones and have heard good reports of them, plus some have 32GB storage, they are 4g and seem to have most of the features of more expensive phones, although the exploding battery is not an option.

Rakk

The Awesome
Thanks Tony1044 and Stephen M

I hadn't really looked at the OnePlus phones, but the OnePlus3 does look decent - will have to have a better look (though i should really wait til lunchtime otherwise I'll really get no work done :))
And I'd never heard of Aquaris, I'll have a look at those as well.

although the exploding battery is not an option.
Hehe, yes I don't think any of us need that option :)

Gorman

Author Level
75-606-065-03.jpg

Powerful, reliable and always with the latest release of stock android. The Nexus 6P.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
WOW Gorman, i ain't seen you around here in ages :D

I am pre ordering the Google Pixel Phone, my wife's phone just suddenly jumped off the table and think she will be claiming it :(

Currently have the Nexus 6P and it is a beast, its my favorite phone to date.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I'm on the 2015 Moto X and I like it. Would recommend it to those who want a phone that "just works". However the techy inside me really misses my OnePlus One, and I still think about it late at night.

Not sure how I feel about the Pixel. Think the most disappointing part about Google phones recently is them abandoning the traditional Nexus pricing and hitting regular flagship levels. £400 for my Moto X is about the most I'd ever go for a phone, so the £600 Pixel is out of the question for me. With the really good cheap Chinese devices from the likes of OnePlus, Xiaomi, Huawei and more, I just don't see the point spending so much on a phone. Particularly Samsung, which can take a while to get updates even at the cost of the device. At least with Nexus/Pixel super quick updates and vanilla Android make the price a little more worthwhile.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Am currently using an Aquaris, they are less than 200 from Amazon and come unlocked. I use mine as it takes the Ubuntu OS and have been very pleased with it, the dual sim is handy if you are travelling outside the EU an want a cheap local sim. They also produce Android phones and have heard good reports of them, plus some have 32GB storage, they are 4g and seem to have most of the features of more expensive phones, although the exploding battery is not an option.

Ooo, what's Ubuntu Mobile like? I actually thought it was cancelled by Canonical, haven't heard anything about it for years. I loved where they were going with it, but felt it would have the same issues I had with Windows Phone, a lack of good apps.

Rakk

The Awesome
Thanks for the suggestions :)

I think the Nexus 6P is just a bit too big though, I do want to be able to fit it in my trouser pockets and want to be able to hold it without feeling like I need both hands to hold it safely, my concern about the OnePlus3 is that it may be a bit big, but the Nexus 6P is bigger :( - and welcome back Gorman :)

The Moto X - well I've currently got a Moto G 4G and well I'm not sure I'll head back to Moto's :( - although the Motorola Krzr I had years ago was very reliable (I only had to replace it after about 4 years cos I needed a 3G connection).

I think I may go for the OnePlus3 though and hope it isn't too big, though I'm very good at being indecisive and may change my mind again 15 times today.

Last edited:

fadman

For my two pennies worth, I use Samsung S6 Edge +. It handles anything I throw at it, the only downside is it does not have a mem card slot, I got around this by using an adapter from the usb mini to usb so I can plug in a flash drive which the phone automatically recognises.

Rakk

The Awesome
Thanks for all the advice guys, and I've just ordered a OnePlus3 :)
Need to get me some usb-a to usb-c convertors now - I have various usb cables + plugs around the house so I can charge my phone wherever I happen to be :)

kensam

This is an old thread, i do not know whether i should open a new topic or just posting here because of the topic is all about to choose a new phone. Right now, i am on really tight budget, so have you ever heard about Xiaomi or MI phone? I heard and read a lot of good review because of, it is cheap, but the specs is so good. Anyone ever used MI phone? or any opinion about this company.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This is an old thread, i do not know whether i should open a new topic or just posting here because of the topic is all about to choose a new phone. Right now, i am on really tight budget, so have you ever heard about Xiaomi or MI phone? I heard and read a lot of good review because of, it is cheap, but the specs is so good. Anyone ever used MI phone? or any opinion about this company.

Haven't actually used a Xiaomi phone, but I read obsessively about new handsets and they're supposed to be amazing. More difficult to get here in the UK, you have to ship them in, not sold natively in the country.

If I were to return to Android, I'd go Xiaomi or Huawei, both doing amazing things... There's a really good article below from techadvisor and it features the Mi A1 as well as others.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/mobile-phone/best-chinese-phones-for-2018-3616945/

Markdc

Hi,
I would like to recommend Motorola Mobile phones.
The internal memory and functionality along with the camera are good. Some models have a dual camera so that is an advantage also.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
OnePlus are about to launch their 6T

It's missing some of the more useful features (in my personal opinion) such as wireless charging and being waterproof, as well as doing away with the headphone socket, but they are due to be priced at something like half of an equivalent Samsung/Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.