Defiance 3 15.6 1060 review

rav007

Enthusiast
Gather round, its time for a review :chef:

Specifications highlights as follows:

i7 6700HQ, GTX 1060, 16GB DDR4 HyperX Impact 2133MHz, 128Gb M.2 SSD (to be replaced soon with a 256GB NVMe), 250Gb Samsung 840 SSD* (see the note), 2Tb Samsung Spinpoint M9T HDD

I also paid for the gold warranty and the 3 day fast dispatch. Acknowledgements to:

Kalon the builder, for the build is sturdy
Garnet the tester, for the laptop has passed the sacred trials of explosion resistance
Adam the QCer, for the laptop was dressed appropriately
James the packer, for the laptop arrived padded in a box, but a-ha! the box was also padded, and in another box! It was a russian doll situation, the laptop had no idea what was going on.

The package arrived on 24/11/2016. I only ordered it with 8Gb DDR4 and got another 8Gb stick from Amazon as it was cheaper to source than to go for 16Gb. The bottom panel required all the screws be removed (including the ones marked with keyboard) and it took some prying to separate. I found the best place to separate the bottom was from the Ethernet port, and you have to be quite insistent, you have to mean it. The bottom panel clips in place all way around. The power and USB port to the rear are covered by the bottom panel, so when you put it back on, align the holes with those 2 ports at the back and clip those down first.

The HDD and Samsung 840 were both my own that I had from a previous laptop, and here comes a crucial point. On the configurator when I bought the laptop, it allowed me to configure with 2 HDDs. There are 2 ports, but they are just shy of 16.5mm. Why such a specific number? Because 16.5 is 9.5mm + 7mm, as my 2 drives are 9.5mm and 7mm. They did not stack and align to the 2 SATA connectors. You can only stack 2x 7mm drives in this one. My work-around was simple though * I removed the casing from my Samsung 840 * so it was only 2mm or so, and I plugged that in. I think if you want the storage space, consider Seagate's 7mm Mobile HDDs, you can get 2Tb ones that are 7mm high, I will be doing this in a future update and migrating the existing 2Tb to external.

There is backlight bleed, around the start menu button and it is quite significant on a dark screen. However I have a triple monitor setup, 1xHDMI and 1xmDP with the laptop, so I don't often notice that or care. To be honest I only really noticed it because people said it was there so I looked for it. It doesn't bother me. What does bother me is the green stuck pixel which is just off centre and bright as a mother when the background is black. Lower brightness does reduce its intensity though.

Battery life in MSHybrid mode is close to 5hrs, I was getting 3.5hrs at first then realised my phone was plugged into the back USB port and charging. Unplugging that got me around 4.5hrs with 40% brightness, wifi enabled, but you have to enable power saving mode in the Clevo Control Center! The profiles in there do make a difference. First a few pictures:

cc1.PNG
cc2.PNG
cc3.PNG

Note here that the options you see in these images are for DISCRETE graphics, not MSHYBRID, some options such as overclocking at lost for MSHYBRID!

The top 4 profiles are unique: Quiet, Power Saving, Performance, Entertainment. There were subtle differences I noticed in HWMonitor. Power Saving limits the CPU clock to 800Mhz, Performance limited mine to 1600Mhz and Entertainment allowed for the full 2.6Ghz + turbo to 3.5Ghz.

In the system program tab you have a selection of fan speed profiles, power modes and sleep function. The fan speed can be set to max here, you can also do this by hitting Fn+1. Automatic is the default profile. Custom allows you to set the start and stop temperatures of the fan, and set the full fan's max speed between 50 and 80%. Not sure what Overclock does.

In the device tab you can turn the touchpad, camera and flexiaccess (no idea what that is) on or off.

In the gaming tab, you can enable or disable the left windows key (the only windows key on the laptop's keyboard) and also check the GPU profile. Switching profiles requires a restart. Then you see GPU Overclock and CPU memory OC. These look like the images below:

GPUOC.PNG
CPUOC.PNG

I dont use these, as I use MSI afterburner. All other images will be added in follow-up posts as I can only add 5 images in this single post. The next post will show 3 screens of the Flexikey. The backlight can be customised on this and different profiles can be set up. There is also a tab for checking which keys you use the most, which can be useful for gaming where you may want to disable keys that you don't use very often. Then there is a macro manager which lets you use pretty much any key and record macros to it. This can be enabled and disabled on the fly with Fn + backspace. Macros can also be added to the mouse though I haven't tested this. You can't bind a macro to the windows or P keys but all others seem to be fair game. And the macros can work with or without delay, but from my initial testing they only work for up to 12 or 14 inputs.

You can add profiles, each of which can have its own unique backlighting and macros. The backlighting can be done in 3 zones or across the entire keyboard. Then there are some other options which are built-in, which flash, pulse and randomly change the colours of the backlight too. Any colour is possible on the full colour wheel, but to do white or various shades of grey (white with lowered brightness) you need to enter 256 "color" scheme.

The keys on the keyboard have transparent edges so the backlight is visible from all angles, and the key tops have transparent symbols/text/numbers. There are 3 levels of brightness, and I haven't used the keyboard in the dark but in a low light room and the backlighting is pleasant, it doesn't strain my eyes.

The touchpad is huge, approx 10cm across which is great use of space. It supports multi-gesture 2 finger scroll, pinch to zoom, 4 finger scroll down to minimise all (show desktop) and bring the windows back again, 4 finger scroll up to open the alt+tab menu and in there, 3 finger scroll left and right to change the active window. Also 2 finger swipe left and right in chrome goes back and forward. The fingerprint reader works well for me. I had to set up a pin first in windows Hello and then scanned the same finger through at least on 5 independent finger registrations, but I think it's additive so it doesn't overwrite the previous assigned finger. Now the scan works first time for logging in.

The screen itself is very vibrant and the brightness range is excellent for daytime outside or in a dark room at night. Screen flex is something that some reviews concerned me about but I haven't noticed any significant flex at all. The lid is made of aluminium and the bezel is plastic, but the lid's metal structure is very resistant to flex, if you want to bend the screen you really have to mean it. The palm rest and base are all aluminium too. The port configuration is fine, I would have preferred the display ports at the back instead of the USB port but that is fine. The power belongs at the back and that is where it is. With 1 USB 3.0 port on either side and 2 USB type C ports (which I haven't used yet) there is sufficient USB potential. The audio jacks are multi-functional. The front one is a headphones or optical out, the middle is line in/mic, and the back one is line out (this is a great addition as a separate port). I believe you can also use the 3 ports in a 5.1 surround. The sim card slot is just that, and the SD card slot has an SD card shaped insert which is brilliant to avoid dust getting into the port.

Temperature for the CPU have maxed out at 81C for me, and GPU at 73C. The fans on full are quite loud but not enough to cause a scene. Most of the time, the temps don't even get to a level where max fan is required. Some games I have tested are:

Batman Arkham Knight everything maxed out on 1920x1080 and without an overclock, the FPS was 45 average with a low of 30, that is with all the NVidia effects. With an overclock it got to 53fps average.

GTAV everything except MSAA (x2) and reflections MSAA (x2) maxed out at 1920x1080 the FPS is 60 in most places, and drops to the 30s in areas with dense foliage, especially when the draw distances are full.

Witcher 3 everything maxed out with MSAA x2 on 1920 x 1080 I get around 42FPS average and it can drop to the 30s, but I was only playing in the first area in the game. That is with an overclock.

The above may seem underwhelming, but maxing everything out is pointless. Check on the Nvidia game performance guides which show the performance cost to effect ratio, you can prioritise which options you want maxed and with my prefs I get 60FPS on every game I play at 1920x1080.

The GPU overclock bit is interesting so I will create a follow-up post with benchmarks in there.

Overall, very pleased with this laptop, I spent £1296 in total (no OS) and aside from the slight few negatives (backlight bleed, stuck pixel, hard drive mount), the build, form factor, power and hardware potential in this laptop far outweigh those negatives. This is a beautiful machine, especially coming from the entirely plastic vortex IV LE. The control centre also rounds off the software really nicely with the hardware. It's a fantastic package and bravo to PCS for having it on their product line-up.

Time for some food :chef:

rav007

Enthusiast
Flexikey screens:

FK1.jpg
FK2.jpg
FK3.jpg

In addition, I did a preliminary overclock with furmark as shown here, compared with the base clock:

GPU Base.jpg
Overclock.jpg

With +265 core and +535 memory this was stable for furmark but unstable elsewhere. After doing heaven, valley and 3D mark tests, my final OC that I am happy with is +180 core and +450 memory. This equated to approx 10% better performance in most games I played. On the next post I will show the Passmark 9 test scores.

rav007

Enthusiast
So firstly the overall scores:
pm1.PNG
The main ones are the CPU and GPU ones though, the memory and disk are down to your personal configuration.

pm main.PNG
pm cpu.PNG
pm overall.PNG

I also added a bunch of GTX 1060s to compare with, as well as a couple of 970m's, 980m's and a GTX 960. One 970m baseline was higher than my 1060, the rest were below. There were around 20 980ms that had higher baseline, I show the top one here and one that is 20th. Remember there are thousands of 970m and 980m scores as well. Also the best desktop 960m was shown here too, and it was significantly lower than the 1060 in my laptop.

the first few GTX 1060 scores, up to the one that is massive, are all desktop 1060s and just a random selection. The rest of the 1060s are from a laptop with the same specs as the defiance III. There were about 145 scores when I submitted mine, mainly from competitors, and most of them were lower than this one. I think we placed 10th on the list. These results are with the overclock I mentioned, and during tests, MSI afterburner ran in the background so I took a screenshot to show what the max and min temps and clocks were. The core got to 2088 which is brilliant and the temps peaked at 71, but I took the screen a while after the tests so you don't see any of the dynamics.

Without an overclock, the GPU score was 8202 for me, so there was a 10% increase in the score based on this overclock.
msiaf1.jpg

rav007

Enthusiast
Just to round things off for now, the individual 3D test scores are below, compared with the selected baseline GPUs:

DX9 scores showed a broad range for the 1060s, but were significantly lower than Maxwell
pm dx9.PNG

DX10 saw the DX9 scores and started to fight back
pm dx10.PNG

DX11 saw the DX10 and DX9 scores and responded with "LOL". This test was annoying by the way, it wouldn't launch for ages and when it did, it only showed the last few seconds of the run which resulted in really poor scores. I started to uninstall software and finally found the culprit is Geforce Experience. Uninstalled that and now it all works.
pm dx11.PNG

DX12 wasn't completed by a lot of machines due to it being a newer test, I think it was only introduced in passmark 9.
pm dx12.PNG

GPU computer is fantastic, and of much use to me as a researcher who will use GPU for general purpose computing. These results got me really excited.
pm gpuc.PNG

So that is it for now.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Rav...nice review.

I am intrigued by this bit: "You can only stack 2x 7mm drives in this one. " as I have a 9.5mm and 7mm in my DII and they fit perfectly.

rav007

Enthusiast
Rav...nice review.

I am intrigued by this bit: "You can only stack 2x 7mm drives in this one. " as I have a 9.5mm and 7mm in my DII and they fit perfectly.

I was annoyed by this to be honest because I expected both to fit. On another forum specific to my laptop, someone responded to me saying that Clevo stated the laptop can take either 2x 7mm OR 1x 9.5mm. I did manage for a minute to get both drives in but I felt as though the top SATA port was going to separate from the MOBO. The 2 ports are on 2 different PCBs as you know, separated by some kind of separator, which is glued to both PCBs so I couldn't increase the gap. The other thing is the metal frame which holds the 2 drives in place. I couldn't screw both drives in, the screw holes didn't align for both drives, it was about 0.5mm off. So I have a feeling either the Spinpoint m9t isnt exactly 9.5mm or the Samsung 840 isnt exactly 7mm, or the bays weren't made to have both drive sizes mounted together.

The real pain was finding a damn pentalobe screwdriver, and then one that was small enough to open the samsung 840 case.

rav007

Enthusiast
To follow up on a couple of things, I recently had an issue with installing an NVMe in the system. Main point here is to ensure your OS drive isn't on an M.2 SATA if you want to put an NVMe in because you have to remove the M.2 SATA for it to work. It involved 2 bouts of drive cloning from an M.2 SATA to a regular SATA, then removed the M.2 and booted from the SATA to clone to the NVMe. Two hours later everything is working, though the NVMe is a little slow in booting for my liking, it takes about a minute from the power button being pressed. CrystalDiskMark scores for the Samsung SM961 256GB:

CDM.PNG

And finally some images of the laptop itself:

1.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

rav007

Enthusiast
And finally....

11.jpg
12.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg

And please try to ignore the dust. I cleaned this thing like 10 times whilst taking this pictures but it just loves having things stick to it. And who am I to get in the way of such love

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Have you installed the Samsung NVMe driver rather than the generic Windows one? That will slow the boot down considerably.