Got a new phone

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
So did very well from Santa this year and opened a present from my wife and folks that was a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge + VR kit.

I was very happy with my Oneplus 2 except for one thing - and from my own personal point of view it was a big thing - it last got an Android security patch in August..this from a company promising regular updates.

Which was the exact reason I'd moved away from Samsung in the first place. However, turned it on and got it all set up and it downloaded first the November and then a few days later the December security patches, so well played Samsung.

Other than that, I love the fast charge, the screen is excellent and the battery life equally excellent. I adore the curve to the screen with the edge displaying the clock at night to minimise light.

It isn't the most grippy material on the planet so a case was a must-have as soon as possible (though I do this + screen protector anyway).

It took a bit of effort to get EE's WiFi calling capability enabled - it turns out that the majority of UK stocked SIM free handsets are sourced in Europe including by the big stores such as Carphone Warehouse where mine originated from. This meant that although you could enable it in the settings, it wasn't being accepted by EE due to having German firmware. A quick flash to the latest stock (BTU) firmware and a call into EE to ensure it was enabled and pop! I got the SMS to say it was indeed, enabled, although I haven't been able to try it as yet.

Have to say although the OP2 is a 64GB dual-SIM phone, I prefer having a microSD slot.

And we tested the waterproofing capability of my friends on holiday last year when we took some great pool shots.

So all in all, I am actually far more impressed by the thing that I was expecting to be. I just hope Sammy keep the updates rolling :)

lowfran

What a great review. But i am a bit disappointed about the Note 7 issues. Hope this year they can fix about the note series and no more battery issues. I have been using note 3 for about 3 years still running great and do not have any problems

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Re the updates. I got Android 7 a couple of weeks ago.

Oh and EE WIFI calling never has worked. I gave up with them in the end.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I bought IPhone 7 last week. everything works great...

Well...as great as it can within the limitations set by Apple on the original iPhone 10 years ago...

Don't get me wrong. I had them from the 3GS to a 5 but once I made a switch to a modern Android, the iPhone UI just feels dated and lacking in intuitiveness. Whenever I have to occasionally help the wife with her 6, I find myself struggling to navigate around it.

Horses for courses of course - I don't have heavy demands on a phone so I am sure an iPhone would be perfectly serviceable to me again if I had to back to one.

On a related note, I read today that Samsung might be trying to arrange permission to sell their re-refurbished Note 7's. So I assume that being the case, they've found out what caused the issues.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I've been using iPhone 6 for 2 years now and I think I want to try something new like Huawei p10. What are your thoughts?

Hi Samantha

I have no direct experience of any of Huawei phone's but they always seem to score highly in the reviews. A couple of things that come up though time and again I've noticed about the P10 seem to be that they duplicate a lot of apps with their choice of UI, that they are unreasonably "chatty" about power saving notifications with no way to disable them and that the P10+ is only marginally more expensive for a much higher spec handset.

Also, having made the transition from IOS to Android a few years ago, it can be steep learning curve but it's worth sticking with - now, when I go back to my wife's iPhone I find it such a step backwards in terms of usability and at times it feels rather counter-intuitive but I am sure I felt that when I first went across to Android from IOS

Kaby_Lake

So did very well from Santa this year and opened a present from my wife and folks that was a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge + VR kit.

I was very happy with my Oneplus 2 except for one thing - and from my own personal point of view it was a big thing - it last got an Android security patch in August..this from a company promising regular updates.

Which was the exact reason I'd moved away from Samsung in the first place. However, turned it on and got it all set up and it downloaded first the November and then a few days later the December security patches, so well played Samsung.

Other than that, I love the fast charge, the screen is excellent and the battery life equally excellent. I adore the curve to the screen with the edge displaying the clock at night to minimise light.

It isn't the most grippy material on the planet so a case was a must-have as soon as possible (though I do this + screen protector anyway).

It took a bit of effort to get EE's WiFi calling capability enabled - it turns out that the majority of UK stocked SIM free handsets are sourced in Europe including by the big stores such as Carphone Warehouse where mine originated from. This meant that although you could enable it in the settings, it wasn't being accepted by EE due to having German firmware. A quick flash to the latest stock (BTU) firmware and a call into EE to ensure it was enabled and pop! I got the SMS to say it was indeed, enabled, although I haven't been able to try it as yet.

Have to say although the OP2 is a 64GB dual-SIM phone, I prefer having a microSD slot.

And we tested the waterproofing capability of my friends on holiday last year when we took some great pool shots.

So all in all, I am actually far more impressed by the thing that I was expecting to be. I just hope Sammy keep the updates rolling :)

I really love this one, but Snapdragon 810 is really crappy in term of handling the thermal. Sometimes it gets very hot and the battery draining like a crazy. This is the reason why i switch to OP3.

patty

Great to hear such positive reviews. My phone is on the way out and I may be in the market for a new one soon. Might look into an OP2.