Defiance 3 (and possibly other laptops) Keyboard backlighting capabilities?

rav007

Enthusiast
OK I will try to be brief but you all know I struggle. I was playing with keyboard lighting and realised that the flexikeys software custom profiles only give limited options (setting colours per 3 zones and 3 brightness levels) but the other colour profiles in the software demonstrate that the brightness can be changed as a gradient from off to on? So there seems to be a range in brightness control, not just 3 discrete levels.

Then there is was the zonal colouring too. So I made the left zone red, the right zone blue and kept the middle zone off. The zones can be toggled with Fn + numpad 7, 8 and 9. When I had the middle zone off, I expected no lighting at all because I thought it would be 3 independent lamps per zone which route lighting to the zone. But this isnt the case, even with the middle zone off, it blends the 2 zones either side and is of lower brightness due to it officially being "off". Then I tested with 1 zone, the red one on the left because my eyes are more sensitive to red. What I noticed was again that the colour leaks out of the zone and not just into the middle, but all the way to the right! I have uploaded 2 images to show these. There is a gradient of brightness too, it isn't like the left zone is fully on, the middle is on to a lesser extent and the right zone is really low.. the brightness blends across and gradually changes!

20170112_181323.jpg
20170112_180152.jpg

It also looks as though each key has one or 2 sources of light under it. Based on all of this, I think this keyboard could be capable of independent lighting with full RGB capabilities. I don't think any 2 of these keys are linked in their colour and brightness levels. If you guys have a play around you may also notice this too. Does anyone else think this is the case?

The reason I bring it up, especially in this section is because I would like to create a mod for it, but no idea how to start. I am thinking of ambient lighting from the keyboard to dynamically change with the screen's colours. Also considering in-game changes for example in GTAV when you're being chased by the police, the middle zone can be white and the 2 outer zones flashing red and blue. In games where stealth is important and measured, if you're in the dark, the keyboard brightness is completely low, then increases if you're out in the open and detectable. Also detection changes so if you're detectable and someone thinks they saw you it goes yellow, and then the keyboard changes to orange and then red when an alert is triggered. In shooting games when you've been hit and health is critical, the keyboard can change from a set colour to flashing red and the flashes increases in frequency. Just different ideas I want to play with but need to know if the keyboard is capable on a hardware level?!?! Anyone else interested in this? Any other ideas? Thoughts? Experiences?