FINAL! Can I do 4K Gaming?!

rajadd

Silver Level Poster
Also, is it possible to have this spec, but use it for 1440p gaming for certain games where I wanted to increase the FPS?

Monitor - Cheapest 4k 28 inch on PCS @ £299 - I've seen good ratings on review websites for this
AOC U2879VF 28" 4K Monitor - 3480 x 2160, 1MS, HDMI, DVI, DP

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-7700k (4.2GHz) 8MB Cache

Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX Z270E GAMING: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready!

Memory (RAM)
16GB HyperX PREDATOR DDR4 3200MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB)

Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 - DVI, HDMI, 3x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!

1st Hard Disk
2TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE

M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG PM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3000MB/R, 1700MB/W)

Power Supply
CORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450 POWER SUPPLY

Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)

Processor Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler

Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND

Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11 AC1300 867Mbps/5GHz, 400Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD

Price: £2,386.00 including VAT and delivery

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I would opt for an overclocked build given your situation. I would also increase the PSU to the 850w RMx model as it's the bees knees. I would also ditch the wireless card as the motherboard you have selected has onboard wireless :)

Other than that it looks good.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
As above.

Also note that the motherboard has 867mbps wifi of its own built in. So you might dispense with the

Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11 AC1300 867Mbps/5GHz, 400Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD

What case are you going for?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have a similar spec, but with 4th gen chipset and cpu, managed to max out new tomb raider and other recent triple A's at between 40 - 60 fps.

The only thing I'd mention is that the GTX1080 at 4k would MASSIVELY benefit from a GSYNC screen as the lower framerates can look choppy without it, but obviously this increases budget quite significantly.

This is my 4k GSYNC screen (budget screen, but performs very well):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Predator-XB281HK-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B015ZGV34U (Ignore the review about image quality, is a defective screen, nothing like that present on my model)

When you get it, apply a custom fan profile on the GTX1080, the default fan profile will allow it to reach the 83 degrees throttling limit, up the profile even a little and it keeps it nearer high 70's so no throttling.

Last edited:

rajadd

Silver Level Poster
I would opt for an overclocked build given your situation. I would also increase the PSU to the 850w RMx model as it's the bees knees. I would also ditch the wireless card as the motherboard you have selected has onboard wireless :)

Other than that it looks good.

Thanks, I got rid of the Wireless card! The case I'm going for at the moment is the NZXT S340 Mid Tower Gaming Case (Black/Blue).

rajadd

Silver Level Poster
I have a similar spec, but with 4th gen chipset and cpu, managed to max out new tomb raider and other recent triple A's at between 40 - 60 fps.

The only thing I'd mention is that the GTX1080 at 4k would MASSIVELY benefit from a GSYNC screen as the lower framerates can look choppy without it, but obviously this increases budget quite significantly.

This is my 4k GSYNC screen (budget screen, but performs very well):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Predator-XB281HK-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B015ZGV34U (Ignore the review about image quality, is a defective screen, nothing like that present on my model)

When you get it, apply a custom fan profile on the GTX1080, the default fan profile will allow it to reach the 83 degrees throttling limit, up the profile even a little and it keeps it nearer high 70's so no throttling.

Thanks for the tips!! That is a beautiful screen - my only worry is that it costs £200 more than the one I have. Maybe I'll stick to my 1080p screen instead of buying the AOC for £300 and save up the extra £200 to purchase the screen you have at a later date. It seems a shame to wait though because I'll have a powerful computer that won't shine without an appropriate monitor!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for the tips!! That is a beautiful screen - my only worry is that it costs £200 more than the one I have. Maybe I'll stick to my 1080p screen instead of buying the AOC for £300 and save up the extra £200 to purchase the screen you have at a later date. It seems a shame to wait though because I'll have a powerful computer that won't shine without an appropriate monitor!

As it's gonna be lower refresh rate at 4K I think Gsync is a must for fluid gameplay. Personally I'd hold off and save a little, but totally understand if you can't. The gtx1080 is hands down the most impressive card I've ever owned, it blows all previous experiences out of the water!

rajadd

Silver Level Poster
As it's gonna be lower refresh rate at 4K I think Gsync is a must for fluid gameplay. Personally I'd hold off and save a little, but totally understand if you can't. The gtx1080 is hands down the most impressive card I've ever owned, it blows all previous experiences out of the water!

Thanks SpyderTracks. I have decided to go for the monitor that you have instead of the AOC. Are you sure though that the bad reviews for it are no longer relevant? To be honest, I was a little put off by them and considered getting a 1440p 144hz monitor instead....

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks SpyderTracks. I have decided to go for the monitor that you have instead of the AOC. Are you sure though that the bad reviews for it are no longer relevant? To be honest, I was a little put off by them and considered getting a 1440p 144hz monitor instead....

1440p would net you a better quality monitor, no doubt about that. I think you'd get longer term satisfaction out of 1440p as you'll max everything for the life of the card I would imagine whereas with 4K you'll have to start lowering settings after a year or so. Plus 4K screens are still damn expensive for anything really decent, the one I linked is the cheapest 4K Gsync but the panel isn't the best compared to others. I actually bought a 1440p 144hz Gsync as well as the 4K so I could have the best of both worlds

rajadd

Silver Level Poster
1440p would net you a better quality monitor, no doubt about that. I think you'd get longer term satisfaction out of 1440p as you'll max everything for the life of the card I would imagine whereas with 4K you'll have to start lowering settings after a year or so. Plus 4K screens are still damn expensive for anything really decent, the one I linked is the cheapest 4K Gsync but the panel isn't the best compared to others. I actually bought a 1440p 144hz Gsync as well as the 4K so I could have the best of both worlds

Thanks!! To be honest, I don't really have the budget to be swapping graphics cards every 1-2 years so I'll go for 1440p @ 144hz.

Can I please ask what you think about this monitor - Acer Predator XB271HUAbmiprz 27-Inch? I can see you have this one, Dell S2716DG 1440p TN G-Sync 144Hz, do you think the Dell is better than the Acer by much? I'm trying to keep costs minimal now!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Predator-XB271HUAbmiprz-27-Inch-ZeroFrame/dp/B01EN5JN5K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485260649&sr=8-1&keywords=monitor+gsync+1440