Annoying screech/squeak coming from CPU area

Had my new custom PC for 5 days and I've noticed that whenever I do something with a high CPU load, mostly playing online videogames, there is a high pitched squeaking noise coming from the CPU area that changes pitch and instantly goes away again if I minimise or close the high usage programme. Could anyone tell me if this is normal and if so fixable or if it is or could be a potential problem in the future? Thank you.

My specs are:

Case
COOLERMASTER HAF-X FULL TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-7700k (4.2GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard
Gigabyte AORUS Z270X-Gaming 7: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB HyperX PREDATOR DDR4 3200MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 - DVI, HDMI, 3x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Hard Disk
NOT REQUIRED
M.2 SSD Drive
256GB SAMSUNG SM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3100MB/R, 1400MB/W)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H100i V2 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Liquid Series Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED Lighting
50cm Red LED Strip
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11 AC1300 867Mbps/5GHz, 400Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
DVD Recovery Media
Windows 10 (64-bit) Home DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome™
Monitor
AOC AGON AG271QX 27" Freesync Gaming Monitor
Monitor Cables
1 x 2m DisplayPort Cable - DP (M) to DP (M)
Keyboard & Mouse
Razer® Deathstalker Expert Gaming Keyboard
Gaming Mouse Pad
Razer Gigantus Gaming Surface
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 4 to 6 working days
Quantity

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I would give PCS a call as soon as you can. That sounds mechanical to me, and probably a fan, but PCS will be able to help you best I think.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It could be the hydro cooler settling in, when they're first used there's often quite a lot of noise from them as they release air from the system and generally settle in.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It could be the hydro cooler settling in, when they're first used there's often quite a lot of noise from them as they release air from the system and generally settle in.

Oh that's useful to know, thank you! Never having had liquid cooling I had no idea. You learn something every day...! :)

Thank you for the suggestion, what sort of noise would you expect from that though? I have tried turning the fans speeds up and down and the noise is exactly the same so I have ruled fan bearings out and the fan modulator in the CPU cover plate where the noise comes from.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I have to ask, are you 100% sure it's from the CPU area? Could it be coil whine from the GPU?

Do you still get it if you run something like Prime95 which stresses the CPU but not the GPU?

I have to ask, are you 100% sure it's from the CPU area? Could it be coil whine from the GPU?

Do you still get it if you run something like Prime95 which stresses the CPU but not the GPU?

Thank you for the input, I have run Prime95 and found no sound what so ever. That makes the most plausible explanation the GPU coil whine of which I'm not fully aware of but am I right in thinking it is nothing problematic, just not fixable?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Coil whine is not dangerous, no.

It is often related to FPS. For instance if I launch a total war title on the Sega logo screen I will get something silly like 2500 FPS and the PC will whine a bit, but during the game itself if I'm on ~70-100 FPS I won't get the whine. This may explain the changing pitch of the sound.

You can try capping your FPS (when playing WoW I'd usually have FPS capped to ~150 to avoid whine) or using vsync. I think your monitor is a 165hz one so you could cap your FPS to that or a bit above and see if that helps.

Coil whine can come from the PSU as well as the GPU.

I initially had really bad coil whine to the extent that PCS agreed to replace the PSU (which I'm sure they weren't obliged to). If you're getting bad whine when playing games at "normal" FPS levels you may want to contact PCS to discuss the issue. You've spent a lot on that PC and I'm sure they'll be committed to making sure you're happy with it, so if they can help I'm sure they will.

I don't believe there are any 'fixes' in terms of reinstalling drivers or reseating hardware etc, no. I've heard of people putting a bit of glue on the source of the noise and this stops the sound. But I would probably advise against this from a warranty point of view... Other than the above I don't know of any fixes.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your help, it was WoW that I was playing that made me notice to begin with particularly during character select and I was playing with uncapped FPS between 250 and 400 during game play. Now having capped my FPS to 145 at 144.3hz the sound has disappeared during character select and now only faintly occurs during game play. Most of all I'm happy it wasn't a fault/issue! Problem sorted :)