Need Help From Forum Users With Laptop Battery Tests

PCSP

I am trying to run some tests on differences in battery life and would be grateful of anyone on the forum who can do the following and post back their results.

1. With your laptop turned on make sure that your battery is fully charged at 100%.
2. Shutdown your laptop via Windows Logo->Power->Shut down
3. Make sure that the laptop charger is now unplugged.
4. Leave the laptop for as long as possible, ideally overnight.
5. Turn the laptop back on, boot into Windows and immediately check the percentage of battery remaining.

If you can then post the following:-

Laptop Model
Operating System and Version
Laptop Battery Age (how old the laptop battery is)
Length of time the laptop was turned off (in hours & minutes)
Battery percentage you got when you turned the laptop back on

You can also follow the instructions at http://www.windowscentral.com/generate-battery-report-windows-10 to generate a battery report. This will provide times and percentages that you can copy into the post

Anyone can help, it doesn't matter what laptop you have.

Thanks

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Just be aware that the Windows battery indicator is not accurate. It is in fact extremely difficult to report the actual state of charge of any battery (and not just laptops batteries) and the errors in the Windows percentage remaining indicator are going to be very large and likely to mask any effect you are hoping to see.

Rakk

The Awesome
Also unless you're doing the test on batteries that are all brand new, surely (even if the battery indicator was accurate) it wouldn't be a particularly fair comparison as a battery that is numerous years old will probably not hold its charge nearly as well as a new one.

PCSP

The level of detail I am looking for would not be effected by the result from the windows battery indicates lack of accuracy.

I have included instructions on creating a windows battery report that would make the test a bit more accurate.

I have also added a request for the age of the laptop battery. Ideally it would be useful for new batteries to be part of the test but it doesn't matter that much as long as its not very old and losing charge.

I will simplify the question but the result will not be as helpful.

If you had a new battery (than had already been power cycled a few times) and you fully charged it on a Friday evening, fully shut down your laptop and didn't turn it back on until Monday morning, what would you expect the battery remaining to be?

Alexwise

Defiance 3 with GTX 1060
Windows 10 the latest build
The laptop is 6 months old
8 hours and 30 minutes
99%