Problems with CyberLink Power2Go

Stefano

Hi all,
I have a problem burning a data DVD with CyberLink Power2Go. :confused:
It does not allow me to burn any data DVD and it shows this "unknow error":

File(PrepareBurningDialog.cpp), Build data tree error. Error Code :#0xEB100486

Can anyone halp me solving this problem?

Thanks.

pengipete

Rising Star
No easy answer to that, I'm afraid.

Possible causes include sub-standard disks, conflicts with other codecs or codec packs, conflicts with version of Cyberlink software and version of Windows, conflicts with other buring apps, corrupted Cyberlink installation, firmware issues with drive, driver issues relating to drive etc

Put simply, the only way to start to resolve this is to ensure that your Cyberlink software is completely up to date, then try burning to a different brand of CD/DVD. If that doesn't work, uninstall any codecs or codec packs and any other CD/DVD buring apps and try again. If that doesn't help, uninstall the Cyberlink software completely and try burning with a different application - only install one of them - to ensure that the drive is working correctly. If you can't write with any apps, post back - include your full system specs and we'll see what else we can do.

ciclonpy

I had the exact same error, and it turned out to be two files that ignoring case sensitive, had the same name, something like a.txt and A.txt. I was recording from a samba file server. My vote for this to go to Top 10 Worst Error messages, where CyberLink programmers did learn to communicate?

onlynik

Enthusiast
Cyberlink software has to be the worst software I've ever used. Just use th built in software and it should work.

testerx

I had the exact same error, and it turned out to be two files that ignoring case sensitive, had the same name, something like a.txt and A.txt. I was recording from a samba file server. My vote for this to go to Top 10 Worst Error messages, where CyberLink programmers did learn to communicate?

You got the root cause of the bug. Thanks for giving me a really good clue! I reported the bug to Cyberlink though I doubt they'll care to do anything to fix it. They don't even monitor their own Forums (according to the Forum administrator welcome message, their forums are user-to-user and so their developers stay ignorant of their bugs -- outrageous incompetence).

Fatal internal software bug: Power2Go code is so ancient that it ignores upper-lower case filename distinctions and then crashes when it finds so-called "duplicate" files (eg. abc.txt and ABC.txt). Details follow:

A fatal internal bug in Power2Go software caused me to waste a full day getting to the root cause (which entailed binary search on the large set of files to copy). This was on day 1 of using Power2Go to attempt to copy some folders to BD-R! On my Windows 7 system I have some files backed up from my old WinXP system, including a "<username>\Recent" folder (Windows XP auto-generates -- user has no control over it) that always causes a Power2Go 7 internal fatal error. This folder has a file called "Desktop.ini". It also has a shortcut called "desktop.ini". Yup, Power2Go code is so ancient that it ignores upper-lower case filename distinctions and then crashes when it finds a "duplicate"! Hello, Windows 95 is so over! Cyberlink, please fix Power2Go so that two filenames that differ only in upper-lower case are considered distinct files! Modern Windows (ie. this century) does that. Otherwise you will continue to have a showstopper bug that is so easy to find and reproduce that your software cannot be recommended to anyone, since it fails in the its most basic functionality, and since you have ignored fixing it for years already. I just wasted a full day of my time getting to the root cause, no thanks to the completely uninformative error message: "File(PrepareBurningDialog.cpp), Build data tree error. Error Code :#0xEB10048".

Yuvalg9

I used Power2Go 8 to burn about 150 DVD-R's with .ISO images. At the time, I did not check the integrity of the burned discs. That was about a year and a half ago. I have recently tried to use these discs and about half of them are defective.

Initially, I blamed the media I had used (ETION). I tried burning 10 ETION discs with Nero Burning ROM and all of them are fine. My conclusion is that Power2Go 8 has a very serious bug. I am contemplating suing the company. I invested about 50 hours to burning those discs.

Anybody had a similar experience?